sbc twin turbo???

Status
Not open for further replies.

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
Those are the ebay twin headers and the chinese P-trim t-3/t-4's I really have heard good things about those. That guy is full of it though: If you run a stock motor at 27psi you will pop the gaskets and destroy that motor in a hurry. Not to worry though, those turbos are only capable of 14 psi or so on a small block (383 ci or less). Thats a pretty good deal if the turbos are in good shape.
As for the plumbing: it isnt too hard. The trick we use is to get the polished aluminum tubing and then go to an exhaust shop that uses a mandrel bender. The tubing (3" X 8') typically cost around 120.oo and the exhaust shop will bend it for around 200.oo. Simple, cheap and easy. G-bodies have a lot more room for underhood plumbing.....

Forsaken502

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
Yeah, that guy doesn't know sh*t...

"Will make 350hp x 2"
- guarenteed someone told him that the turbos put out 350hp, so he figures that if you have two of them it will double it. Hmmm... I wouldn't mind my 305 putting out 700hp on stock internals haha

Forsaken502

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
Just a thought since some of you have turbo experience..

My regal has a factory 305 SBC, which from any resource I can find, ran at about 8.5:1 for the compression ratio. Is this low enough to run a small turbo without detonation? Not looking to build a ton of power as the 305's were never available with 4-bolt mains or forged internals. They should hold up to 300 horsepower or so.

ha, just remebered, I have a junk 1990 VW Jetta sitting in my driveway with a 1.6 turbo diesel motor in it. Anyone wanna see a frankenstein 305 with a diesel Jetta turbo on it lol

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
8.5:1 is just about ideal for a turbo. as a matter of fact, most of the shortcomings of the 305 will be overcome by forced induction.
the jetta turbo may be great or horrible. (i have a 1997 1.9tdi) the 97 tdi's push 20psi, but the engine doesn't push a lot of air volume. i'm not sure that the engine would be able to breathe properly.
but you're on a good track. i read an article about 2-3 years ago about a junkyard/ebay built mustang with a john deere turbo on it. the kid got amazing results/times and for very little money.

n33no

Greasemonkey
Apr 12, 2008
St. Louis, MO
Not mine. Just thought I'd post some eye candy. :D

greg3.jpg

drknow90rs

Greasemonkey
Aug 12, 2009
Wittmann, AZ
The 305 is perfect for turbocharging. It really is just a 350 with smaller cylinder bores (Uses same crank and rods as the 350) I have seen some of them on www.thirdgen.org that are pushing upwards of 500 hp with stock internals and a little head work. The tdi turbo may not be able to move enough volume to work for your 305. (Hotside may be too small) A good turbo would be a ford/chevy/dodge pickup turbo.

CaStylin

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2009
Houston, Tx
Do it... i like turbos and there is plenty of room to do fit a couple T58's or T61's in there...

One thing i will say, I would also plan getting a new hood into the budget, depending on what sort of intake manifold and carb set up you have, running an intercooler will cause some clearance issues... the eye candy posted before is a prime example... there no way the stock hood is closing down on that

fullmontess

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 11, 2009
i want to thank all of you in your answers, questions and support,tips with this topic. thank you and will be in touch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor