school loans

Status
Not open for further replies.

1986montecarlols

Master Mechanic
Apr 4, 2008
Hey guys, i got a serious question here, well as many of you know im having some serious family issues, dad passed away a while back, moms home from nursiing home and related family is taking care of her, The question i have is this..

I am now an independant student being that im 24, and well i only owe 24K in loans which is really good considering its my final year, im getting the full 5500 in pell grants and possibly a few 3K more in other grants. I am also recieving 5500 for subsidized loans. My question is well i can also take out an additional 7K in loans that would be 6.8% unsubbed, The initial 5500 I get in subbed loans will be used for my apartment and job looking for a better job. Do you guys think it would be wise to take out hte other 7000 to perhaps get a newer car, my monte is not a bad car but ill be traveling 80 + miles a day to CMU for grad school in less then a year, i need something reliable, I was thinking once again about a 94-96 impala ss or something. What are you guys opiniions, yes i understand loans have to be paid back but well i think for hte most part it would be an ok idea, just wondering what you all think of it. btw, since im bale to take out 12,500 a year now as an independant student does my school even have to award me that extra loan money if i ask to take it out, id like to know

You have to make up your mind. No way I would do it, though. Not $7000 for a 15 yr old car. Not at 6.8%. For $7K you can get something newer and probably more reliable. There will be plenty of time for fun cars when you have a job and have money coming in. Get yourself something like a used Honda that gets good gas mileage if you have to drive that far. I've been in your shoes and did something similar to what you are thinking about. And I still think back how stupid of me it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor