Seat recline mechanism...

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
...I have an 81 Elky with oem bucket seats. Unfortunately the seat doesn't seem to have any control on how far forward or back the upper part of the seat goes. I can't seem to find anywhere to buy new reclining mechanisms to replace the ones I have. I have taken the driver mechanism off and cleaned/oiled it but to no avail. Is it just me or did these seats just not come from the factory with the ability to control how far back the upper seat tilted? Any suggestions on where to get replacement mechanisms for these seats?

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Chevy's only had the A51 Strato buckets that only had the fixed back with forward folding for rear access. AR7 would/should be the same style high back but having the ability to recline. AR9 is the "Euro" style with adustable head rest. Not sure how much interchange there would be between the A51 & AR7 seats they both look the same.

Reactions: 1 user

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
I am afraid I am not familiar with the a51/ar7/ar9 designations. I assume they are gm seat styles but I am not familiar with what years of gm seats these apply to. Are these all gbody seats?

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
A51 is the high back seats use through 81 in Malibu coupes.
AR7 is the same seat with recliners commonly found in cutlass coupes
AR9 is the seat with the separate headrest and recliners as found in Monte Carlo SS and many other G bodies

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
02FA700B-0801-432F-B5A8-646722BDBC6C.jpeg

This is an example of A51 buckets in an 81 Malibu coupe

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Cool! Thanks for the pic as well. Generally I don't mess with seats so afraid I didn't know too much about them.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Not sure if this will apply to your high-back buckets, but I swapped mechanisms from a pair of S10 seats.

rogus

Master Mechanic
Mar 14, 2020
Not sure if this will apply to your high-back buckets, but I swapped mechanisms from a pair of S10 seats.
I have been looking for s10 seats but can't find anything around here. I am thinking at this point I might have to purchase new seats.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor