SEM Color Matching

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Sort of car related but not completely.
Two weeks ago I went to the local paint supplier to see if they could match a bit of SEM Color Coat for me. Not for an interior. Im having a ton of stuff done to my 123 year old house. One of the things being done is new vinyl siding for the house and garage. The 30+ year old Certainteed Sterling Gray looks a little beat up. Going with a color called Granite Gray this time.
I have multiple surface mounting blocks on the house and garage. LED motion lights, vents hoods. This time they have to use the type that mounts on the house first and a trim piece snaps on. At first I wasnt a fan of that style but due to the way the new siding is shaped I dont have a choice. Downside is the most common brand doesnt have the right dimension for the vent hoods I need to use.
Searching around some of the local siding suppliers I finally found a brand that will work. Only issue the gray they come in matches a different brand of siding. I thought about spraying them with SEM. Made for plastics, has UV protection. Spoke to the guys at SEM directly and they said it should hold up for many years.
The guys at the paint supply never matched Color Coat to siding before. They said they could probably match it but the "probably" made me rethink taking it to them. LOL I called the guy I deal with at SEM. He gave me the name of a company in Marietta GA called Vinyl Pro. Called them right away. Spoke to the guy that mixes the paint. His name is Scott. They have the same camera matching system that SEM uses to get the base color. Sent them a piece of siding. I would say the match is better than 99%. Scott did a spray out on the piece I sent him. When I got it back I couldnt see where he blended it. Sent it on a Tuesday afternoon, got it back to NY the following Thursday. Theres a $35 charge for the matching service. If anyone needs a Color Coat match I would highly recommend this place. They have a website.

The vent hood looks a little dark because of the angle and shadow. The hood was white, the block was a different shade of gray. Its super close. Now that the rains finally stopped up here I can start prepping and spraying the rest of this stuff.

IMG_1597.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor