SEM interior paints

Status
Not open for further replies.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
Anybody ever mess with SEM auto interior paints I hear they are the best but am wondering what color blue would be correct to do a console in a dark blue interior.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
The stuff is great so long as you start with squeaky clean parts. Clean the crap out of them and clean them again. Any oils on there and the paint won't stick (it kind of wrinkles up and falls off...instantly)

I used 'shadow blue' on my GP interior bits. I think it might've been a -hair- brighter than the stock pieces, but its really hard to tell.

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Make sure you get a wax and grease remover, if anyone's ever armor-all'd anything, there's silicone everywhere. Other than that, I've seen an ENTIRE interior changed from blue to black and it looks great, all used with SEM products in a spray gun.

fodoimp

Master Mechanic
Oct 8, 2006
Southern New Jersey
I bought the shadow blue and am anxious to try it out thanks for the info on cleaning it Ill have to find a good wax remover before I give it a shot
do you think a quick shot with some laquer thinner will take care of it?
thanks

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I just used some simple green and water w/ a dish brush. took everything right off. I don't know if I'd go too wild with the heavy duty solvents, wouldn't want to risk it 'eating' the plastic....

betsy84

Greasemonkey
Nov 27, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
mineral spirits will do the job. in the shop its called "spirit wipe" which is essentially the same thing. Silicone on anything is a nightmare for painting. call up a body shop and ask if they have armor all, i bet you $1000 they dont.

james_cambron

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 11, 2007
Nebraska
lol

betsy84 said:
mineral spirits will do the job. in the shop its called "spirit wipe" which is essentially the same thing. Silicone on anything is a nightmare for painting. call up a body shop and ask if they have armor all, i bet you $1000 they dont.

I worked in a body shop for awhile and I have to agree with you. The body hsop manager would actually turn cars away that had alot of Armor all on them. Body shops hate the stuff, because most people who use it spray it EVERYWHERE. A good spirit wipe will take care of it though and I dont think it will hurt the plastic. Probably a good scrubber with soap and water afterwards too. Just clean, then clean, and clean again. The cleaner the better.

elcaminokyle

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 2, 2007
Laquer thinner will be too harsh and it will smooth or melt the texture in interior parts. Happened to me. Dishwashing soap and water is a good start followed up with wax and grease remover.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor