serpentine belt squealing

Status
Not open for further replies.

junior4053

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2012
Croswell, MI
I have a March serpentine belt non AC kit on my olds 455, it is squealing at higher RPMs belt is tight and water pump, alternator,& power stering pump are all new. I have dreesed the belt with belt dressing Any ideas what might be the problem?

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
look at yer pullys from the side, if one of them is at an off angle that can cause it to squeek. my alternader is slightly off kilter and it squeeks at idle but when i rev the motor i cant hear it over the exhaust. so if it still squeels, get a louder radio or exhaust :lol:

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
which serpentine is it? Is it a multi belt kit? Does it do it when you just rev it up sitting still or while driving? You can eleminate one belt and see it the squeeling stops and do the same for other belt. Also, If there is any black idlers on the kit then I would check those. I have literally put on 100's of March kits on SBC and BBC and their little idlers aren't greesed. They will be shot in minutes. Hope this helps....I actually put my march kit on my SBO. Alt and powersteering kit.

junior4053

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2012
Croswell, MI
beermonkey9417 said:
look at yer pullys from the side, if one of them is at an off angle that can cause it to squeek. my alternader is slightly off kilter and it squeeks at idle but when i rev the motor i cant hear it over the exhaust. so if it still squeels, get a louder radio or exhaust :lol:
Looks like will have to be louder radio I guess already has loud exhaust! Hahaha. Will check that out it was a complete kit from march performance you would hope it would all line up for what i paid them!

junior4053

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 28, 2012
Croswell, MI
hurst1979olds said:
which serpentine is it? Is it a multi belt kit? Does it do it when you just rev it up sitting still or while driving? You can eleminate one belt and see it the squeeling stops and do the same for other belt. Also, If there is any black idlers on the kit then I would check those. I have literally put on 100's of March kits on SBC and BBC and their little idlers aren't greesed. They will be shot in minutes. Hope this helps....I actually put my march kit on my SBO. Alt and powersteering kit.
Its the single belt kit i think it does have 1 idler on it will see if thats the problem. Do you have have to take it off to grease it and what kinda grease did you use? And it squeals at higher rpms weather I am driving or just reving the motor in park.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
junior4053 said:
hurst1979olds said:
Its the single belt kit i think it does have 1 idler on it will see if thats the problem. Do you have have to take it off to grease it and what kinda grease did you use? And it squeals at higher rpms weather I am driving or just reving the motor in park.
Whenever I put the kits on I usually grease before mounting. Youll have to take off the 3 small bolts and cover. Then there youll need to use a small needle to pop the dust over off the inside. I usually use a small greese gun with a needle point and use wheel bearing grease.

LS1GN

G-Body Guru
Aug 7, 2011
Central Florida
Check for proper tension. Squeal is not necessarily a bearing.

Squeal can be a mis-aligned pulley. It can be out of alignment in two ways: depth-wise front to back, and also out of alignment which is not being square with the crank.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor