Serpentine set up question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I have a 85 SS Monte Carlo I am building. Putting in a small block 400. I want to go with a serpentine set up. I have one off a 98 350 Chevy truck.
I have most of one off a 89 iroc just need the power steering and the left hand aluminum bracket.
My question is which one would be best??? Or is it just personal preference?
Thanks in advance

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I don't think the Camaro bracket will work without the passenger side bracket - contains the tensioner pulley. The Camaro setup has a lower profile, but I think others have made the truck serpentine setup work in a G. The smaller truck alternator will help.

Speedy94c

Apprentice
Sep 3, 2016
I don't think the Camaro bracket will work without the passenger side bracket - contains the tensioner pulley. The Camaro setup has a lower profile, but I think others have made the truck serpentine setup work in a G. The smaller truck alternator will help.
I wasn't clear but I do have the right bracket which does have the tensioner and holds the a/c compressor. I will have to buy a left bracket with the power steering pump, but I have the complete set up off the truck.

Tyler J

Apprentice
Aug 29, 2016
Central Wisconsin
I invested in a used March setup for $150. Looks nice and easy installation. Has 2 belts though.

Attachments

• 20160905_013646.jpg
    20160905_013646.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 224
Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I wasn't clear but I do have the right bracket which does have the tensioner and holds the a/c compressor. I will have to buy a left bracket with the power steering pump, but I have the complete set up off the truck.

I bought a pair of Camaro brackets off of EBay a few years ago, and it took some time to figure out and obtain all the missing bolts. If your truck setup has all the support rods and bolts, you'll have less trouble making it work, assuming everything clears the hood. I have a new-in-the-box driver's side Camaro bracket, so if you do not use your passenger bracket, I'd be interested in yours to make a pair if it's in decent shape.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I used a serpentine setup from an '88 Firebird on my '84 Monte SS. The Monte has the original 305 in it. The mounting bracket that goes on the passenger's side cylinder head needs 3 bolt holes in the front of the head. The earlier (pre 1987) SBC cylinder heads only have 2 bolt holes. There are braces to reinforce the brackets and accessories though. I've had this setup on the car for 6 years now (don't drive the car much), but its holding up well. That's the only issue I found with the F body setup on the earlier engine. Hope yours works out well.

Reactions: 1 user

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Here is a parts list and instructions for the Camaro setup. I took pictures of a 1988 Camaro engine...let me find those to help describe where parts belong.

Attachments

• nal-12497896_nal-12497697(serpentine).pdf
    188.9 KB · Views: 721

V8 Rumble

Royal Smart Person
Jan 7, 2010
Connecticut
For the water pump which year would you need. Gm went to a reverse flow cooling system on the gen 2 sbc from 87 to the early 90's. Are reverse rotation and reverse flow water pumps the same thing?

I think I had a discussion on here with another member but don't remember.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Are reverse rotation and reverse flow water pumps the same thing?

Reverse flow is used on the 90s LT4 where the coolant is actually routed into the heads first, while reverse rotation flows the coolant into the block first the same way as pre-'87. Due to the back of the serpentine belt wrapping around the water pump pulley, the blades on the impeller curve the opposite way. Don't forget that if you plan to use a mechanical fan and clutch, they also need to be for reverse rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor