Setting up gauges on a 307

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riggs

Apprentice
Jan 21, 2009
I recently bought a set of gauges for my 307 olds which is no longer hooked up to the computer. The gauge set has oil pressure, engine temp, and volts. The only one I know how to hook up is the oil pressure which I know goes to where the oil pressure sensor is on the engine. Now as far as the volts and engine temp where do they go? I think the volts may go to the alternator but not 100% sure. If anyone has a diagram or photos of how to set it up and where to go through the firewall it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you.

Do you still have the connector for the gauges? If so, all of the wiring is there, just needs to be switched around a little.

Its accually a 307 with no wiring at all, there is an oil pressure sensor but it really senses nothing, its just a big plug to keep oil from leaking out right now. I bought a gauge kit with all the wiring though so I think I have everything I need I just need the points on the engine where the sensors for the gauges go and if there is a good point in the firewall to run the wires to the gauges.

Are these aftermarket gauges?

Can you provide a little more information on the gauges (company, mechanical or electric/digital, what came with them...) as well as what's already on the engine (you said the oil sender is there, what about the temp sensor?), if it's stock or aftermarket intake, are the connectors still there.

If the oil "sensor" is not really a sensor you may have to pick one of those up and the connector. Then you may be able to tap into that or use that connector end and just splice the wire(s). Remember just because you don't have gauge (idiot lights) it's still considered a sensor.

Temperature gauge will go into the intake manifold. Usually this is at the front of the manifold, next to the thermostat housing, in the crossover runner (actually looks like one of the intake manifold runners but is for coolant) There may be a sensor already there, or at least a pipe-plug in the intake. You can screw the temp sensor there. Depending on the type of gauge you have (copper wire or insulated strand) you may pick up a little underhood heat, which may make the sensor read a few degrees slightly higher. I'm running an aftermarket intake and have an aux. temp gauge installed.

For volts you can hook the positive up to the your fuse panel. There may be one or two "ign" terminals on the left-side of the box. These should be switched +12V. You don't want to hook the gauge up to anything that sees +12V all the time, only when the ignition is on. You also want to find a good ground for this as the gauge will read funky if you don't. You don't want to hook this up to the BAT terminal on the HEI distributor - the coil needs the full battery voltage to perform properly, especially if you're using an aftermarket coil. You can hook it to the alternator output but you really need to be careful here.

When running the wires through the firewall look for a sealed grommet. You may have to replace this with an o-ring stylle that's open in the center. By going through the grommet you won't chaff the wires. Just follow the instructions that came with the kit; it'll show you were to make the connections.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.

They are aftermarket mechanical gauges by Sunpro, I think I see where the oil and now I see a sensor on the manifold for the coolant and I guess I'll have to pull the sensor and put in the kit's bushing so I can hook up the coolant temp. I just will have to figure out the volts and see where I hook that up and where I hook up the lights for the gauges.

you can hook the volt gage up to any switch source hot wire and it will read the volts in the system i just ran a wire from the fuse panel to run my volt gage and another swtich source wire and then split off into the gage lights. hope that helps

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor