shifter linkage?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nope. No adjustment in the column itself. Look at it this way - the key and lock were 30 years old - chalk it up to maintenance. And if you did it yourself - congratulations - there's lots of little bits in there.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Nope. No adjustment in the column itself. Look at it this way - the key and lock were 30 years old - chalk it up to maintenance. And if you did it yourself - congratulations - there's lots of little bits in there.

Yeah did it myself, so where's the adjustment at if not in the column?

As it was explained to you...loosen the linkage rod near the trans. and move linkage into the park position, or when you're able to remove the key in park.
There's an adjustable sleeve where the rod passes thru. You'll see it connected to the gear select lever. It has a bolt at the end to tighten the rod down after you've positioned the shift rod to where it needs to be.
Can you snap a picture of the bracket and shift linkage by the trans?...or if anyone has a pic of the area handy. I think then it could be explained more easily.

As it was explained to you...loosen the linkage rod near the trans. and move linkage into the park position, or when you're able to remove the key in park.
There's an adjustable sleeve where the rod passes thru. You'll see it connected to the gear select lever. It has a bolt at the end to tighten the rod down after you've positioned the shift rod to where it needs to be.
Can you snap a picture of the bracket and shift linkage by the trans?...or if anyone has a pic of the area handy. I think then it could be explained more easily.

Of course ill snap a shot tomorrow hopefully.

i had the same problem. it was the collar on the end of the column. you need to make sure the arm is up all the way and is in park.climb under the car if you look at your linkage there is a i think 5/8 bolt you need to loosen and then put your floor shifter in park as well. once you get both in park tighten that nut up and you should be good to go. look in the first pic you will see the adjustment nut.the 2nd pic you will see the arm the linkage the arm goes in.
linkage.jpg
colun.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
i had the same problem. it was the collar on the end of the column. you need to make sure the arm is up all the way and is in park.climb under the car if you look at your linkage there is a i think 5/8 bolt you need to loosen and then put your floor shifter in park as well. once you get both in park tighten that nut up and you should be good to go. look in the first pic you will see the adjustment nut.the 2nd pic you will see the arm the linkage the arm goes in.View attachment 49060 View attachment 49061

Got it, thank you so much much guys, I appreciate everything, I knew this forum wouldn't dissapoint. This is the best forum I've been a part of in a long time.

Hey, you're welcome Mike.
Sometimes it's not always easy to explain something, however, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks to Wonderboy.

Hey, you're welcome Mike.
Sometimes it's not always easy to explain something, however, a picture is worth a thousand words.
Thanks to Wonderboy.

Absolutely! I was confused because one of the posts said no adjustment on the column, and it was my fault not the posters fault, but I took it as the adjustment wasn't connected to the column, but she I went back and reread it I realized he meant not -in- the column behind the steering wheel. Like when I changed the ignition lock cylinder.

So, I ended up just pullin the linkage all together. Not there. Non existent. Nada. Invisible if you want to imagine.. Works perfectly fine

anything guys?
Sounds like you are twisting the steering column a bit when you tighten down the bracket. Don't take much to make the rod running from key down to harness connection (inside steering column )to jam, making the key feel real stiff and not going back to lock position.
Without seeing application, that what sounds like is happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor