Sold My Malibu....

Status
Not open for further replies.

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
Well, I regret it now but at the time, I thought I knew what I was doing! I have a 65 Malibu SS car that I have had since 1980 and cannot part with it. I also have a 76 CJ jeep that I really like.(My dad had one when I was growing up) There was just not enough time to drive these vehicles and my 81 was the odd man out. Or so I thought. Man I love that car.On the plus side , I sold it to my brother and he will let me drive it whenever I would want. And I get to work on it too since he only knows how to put gas in it! LOL Part of our agreement is I get first dibs if he decides to sell..But man I kinda wish i would have never done it. Oh well, he really likes it and takes great care of it. iIt is one of the cleanest Malibus I have seen with No rust and still under 50,000 miles. Here are some pics...

Attachments

• Optimized-P1030269.JPG
    Optimized-P1030269.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 654
  • Optimized-P1030270.JPG
    Optimized-P1030270.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 674
  • Optimized-P1030271.JPG
    Optimized-P1030271.JPG
    215.9 KB · Views: 678
  • Optimized-P1030272_edited.JPG
    Optimized-P1030272_edited.JPG
    226.7 KB · Views: 667
  • P1000017_edited-1.jpg
    P1000017_edited-1.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 660

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
Looks like a really clean car. I could personally live without the red stripe, but that's just a matter of taste. I have a tough decision to make along these lines too, thankfully the Cutlass isn't on the chopping block. It's never easy to sell a car, but sometimes reducing the collection is the best thing to do. Hopefully it makes life a little easier. If not, you could always sabotage it and tell him it's garbage and buy it back. ;)

timo22

G-Body Guru
Sep 10, 2012
St. Louis,Mo
I know this is an old post but my wife bought my Malibu back for me for Christmas! I cant wait for the spring and get it back out. It has been almost 3 years and the car is in the same shape that I sold it. This car still has only 42xxx miles on it with no putty or rust on it..Woooohooo! I used to sell a lot of parts on this site but have been too busy with work and family. The good news is I still go to the yards every weekend and still collect parts. Once I get caught up ,I will bump some of my ads. Timo22

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Oh man, did you luck out! My wife could care less about anything car-related except whether it has four wheels and goes. I proposed buying a 2009 Pontiac GXP and was shocked when she said 'Go get it'. She explained - go drive it - get the joy out of it - by the time you finish any of your project cars, you won't be able to afford car insurance because our three kids will be getting licenses. However, the GXP is so cherry I'm reluctant to drive it as it may be the next Grand National / GNX collectible. I think she hoped I get rid of some / most of my seven car / truck projects. Didn't happen. Now, she's pressuring me to sell this thing and ditch the car payment - fortunately I don't have the attachment to it that I have with my two Malibus (or you have with your '81).

So, long story short, I'm glad you got your car back. The joy of my cars is working on them, making them my way, not driving GM's idea of what I want.

As you troll the yards, if you find a nice 'camel' colored Malibu, El Camino, or Monte Carlo steering wheel that is not chewed up and sticky like mine, let me know.

Quinn

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
ssn696 said:
I proposed buying a 2009 Pontiac GXP and was shocked when she said 'Go get it'. She explained - go drive it - get the joy out of it - by the time you finish any of your project cars, you won't be able to afford car insurance because our three kids will be getting licenses. However, the GXP is so cherry I'm reluctant to drive it as it may be the next Grand National / GNX collectible.

Ha ha I had the same thought 20 years ago when I was working on a restoration, and thought I'd never finish it. So I decided to buy a brand new '96 Camaro SS. It was too nice, so I put it away and bought something else to drive. That was too nice, so I bought something less nice, to drive. At a certain point, I had nine cars, and the restoration of the first car was completely derailed because I didn't have any money. I finally started selling cars, and finished the restoration on the first car. Now, the first car is too nice to drive, so I bought the Cutlass in beater form, threw an engine in it, and have discovered that the joy comes from DRIVING the car, regardless of condition. (as long as it's not TOO nice...) So my favorite car is a beater now, and I will never restore another car.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
My old wagon. Beater with a 406, 200-4R, 3.73 Auburn posi. 14.67 quarter at 82 mph. Not fast, but fast enough. Also carried four friends, 10 air bottles and five dive bags. Parked it anywhere on Oahu and waded into the surf, never lost a window or radio. I'm building another wagon just like it (except better paint), using the same axle I saved when I parted it out. The 406 is refreshed and in a similar coupe.

Attachments

• Hawaii_Dive_Car.jpg
    Hawaii_Dive_Car.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 338

Flyers9928

G-Body Guru
Jul 30, 2014
South Central Pa
Bahahahah my old 81 Malibu wagon had the sticky steering wheel! It would never go away no matter what you cleaned it with. Totally forgot about it until you mentioned that

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor