CUTLASS Solved: Steering tramlining/twitchy/wander...tire tread aggressiveness?...SMH--hard to believe!

383_StealthRam

Greasemonkey
Dec 29, 2016
So I'll try to keep this short, I've had BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS tires on 17x8 wheels for about 4 years. They were installed after doing the 2WD S10 Front Blazer brake knuckle/bearing/caliper upgrade. Initially it was BFGOODRICH RADIAL T/A tires on 15x7 SSIII wheels which drove great and straight, just wanted to go larger wheel, and non staggered setup so I went with 245/45ZR17 tires front and back.

After the change to G-FORCE COMP-2 tires, I've been living with a pretty annoying steering issue in that the steering felt very twitchy, and would be hard to keep rolling down the road without constant slight input left or right depending on road surface, crown, etc...

The suspension is full QA1 level 3 coil overs, double adjustable shocks, Frt/Rr UCA/LCA, sway bars, low friction tall ball joints etc..

Steering box is from TurnOne, (12:1) new not rebuilt. Steering shaft and rag joint also was replaced with NEW, steering column lower nylon bushing replaced with bearing as well.

UMI front and rear frame bracing, bump steer kit with outer heim joints.

The wheel alignment was done multiple times on latest Hunter systems with upwards 7+ degrees POS CASTER as per QA1 which they incorporate into the UCA shafts, TOE IN was set per QA1 specs as well.

Driving down most roads at low to moderate speeds while not dangerous, was very exhausting. The slightest road imperfections, divots would have the car wander slightly left or right, and I would have to input slight steering correction and it was hard to do without overcompensating. At higher highway speeds, it was less of an issue.

So today I finally bit the bullet and got rid of the G-FORCE COMP-2 tires up front and switched to HANKOOK VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2 in same size. They are also directional tires like the BFG's but use a "less aggressive" tread pattern and my local tire shop said for sure the BFG's we were taking off could behave like I was describing. I left the BFG's out back for now.

So I'm happy to report, after driving the car today the difference is night and day. Now I can just rest my wrist at 12 o'clock on the steering wheel with little to no grip and no more wandering or drifting off left and right. I can't believe I lived with this for as long as I did, and didn't want to admit it could be from the tire tread. Granted the BFG is a softer/stickier tire so that also lends itself to the problem.

For reference, here's the two treads side by side to show the difference. Needless to say, I'm a happy camper and just wish I decided to do some research and pull the trigger on the different tires a lot sooner.

BFGOODRICH G-FORCE COMP-2 A/S PLUS
Ultra High Performance All-Season
HANKOOK VENTUS V2 CONCEPT2
High Performance All-Season
1719563180070.png
1719563196481.png

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: 10 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor