Someone "Cash For Clunkers'd" A GNX???!!!! WTF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Looks like over 1000 g-body's met their death to this program........ :puke:

jatguit

Greasemonkey
Mar 27, 2007
Up here in a junk yard where I frequent, was a decent 85 Cutlass Brougham v-8 with a Euro nose on it. Most of the nose chrome and lamps were extremely nice and I grabed all those nose items and headlamps and the taillamps where decent too... I will keep these as extras for my 87 Cutlass. Unfortunately the bumpers were real bad, and the dash was cracked. No F41 and no gauges either unfortunately.

I couldn't beleive it when I went there and saw C4C on the windshield.
The guy that owns the yard says the transmission was and looks rebuilt, although it is only a 3 speed, so I passed.
Also the owner said I could buy the whole car as a parts car, but can't have the VIN tag as the title was turned in as scrap.

It was a running driving car in good shape (rusty bumpers mostly and some surface rust in lower quarters) for a New England car. And some of the nose chrome and lamps must have been bought as NOS as they were almost like new. What a surprise. Allthough I can imagine its resale value in the shape it was in was not worth $4500 dollars and probably more like $1000 to $1500 dollars, so I can see where the owners faired well turning it in as a C4C. The good thing is that everything can be sold, except for the engine, which is junk now. This would have eventually ended up in the junk yard anyways so the C4C just got it there sooner.

waggin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 10, 2009
Puget Sound, WA
Cash for Clunkers = :blam:

Basically, a productive and most likely paid for asset in use is taken out of use and destroyed. Government, read us taxpayers, pays an incentive to a corporation (auto manufacturers/dealers) who raise their prices to partially offset the rebate amount for a consumer to purchase a vehicle, most likely on credit. Just what we need as a country & individuals, more debt!

Wouldn't it be simpler & more cost effective to just write welfare checks directly to favored large corporations who have the ability & financial wherewithal to lobby our semi-elected "representatives?" At least that way we wouldn't have to witness nice cars being destroyed.

robwkamm

Apprentice
Jun 16, 2009
Teaneck NJ
i would have clunkered my hurst olds. if i was buying a car. i got the wife a mini cooper s a few months before the clunker deal came out or she would have been gone. 4500 for a h/o is a lot. they do not sell for much more,. people ask more but do not change hands. be real.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Actually, the cut off point for the program was 1985.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i dont recall the mpg that the gnx got but i know that the cash for clunkers had a cut off for mpg since the idea was to get non efficient vehicles off of the road. most gnx's are documented cars and i highly doubt some one gave even a beaten one (if it exists) up for 4500. a gnx in any moving condition has got to be worth much more. most of the cars in my area that i saw were worthless piles of trash that were so rusted away that they were not worth fixing. even though i am sure a few good cars were lost in this i have to say it was a great program to help boost the economy, not just the car companies. think about how many jobs were kept/created that were not there 6 months ago, really think about it..... dealers, sales people, tow companys, recyclers, lot guys washing cars, advertisers, truckers moving the cars, people doing paper work, banks, new loans that might help save the banks.......... allot of people were able to go back to work, allot of people that were collecting unemployment that we were paying for anyways!

madmaxstyle

Greasemonkey
Jul 21, 2009
Alberta
There's no way someone c4c'd a GNX. A black regal maybe. The ONLY way I'd trade something into C4C's is if it was really done and it was on its last leg. even then probably ONLY if it was a $2-500 car to begin with with NO potential. It would have to be cash only though, (I wouldn't trade in for a new car. Ever. If I wanted a new car I would buy one, I'm not just waiting for the right sale to come along to save a few $$) Especially because the big three are broke so I could imagine all the cheap shortcuts that would be taken.
Also I would probably strip it to look like a derby car before I drove it on the lot. If it was a nice older chevy or something, not if it was a plain jane ford tempo or equivalent shoebox though.
thats just me though

Attachments

• radio bracket.jpg
    radio bracket.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 138

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
I have several problems with this list. First, there is a 1990 Honda Civic CRX listed. The worst mileage for any Civic in 1990 exceeded the allowable to qualify as a trade-in. There's a 1999 Mercedes C43 AMG - Kelly Blue Book value in even fair condition exceeds the C4C allowance. I think the data is suspect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor