MALIBU Soon to be '78 Malibu owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
Hey guys I am going to be trying to acquire a 1978 Malibu coupe in excellent shape. It is a factory 305ci car and I dont know much about these cars so I will be on here to see what I can learn, I also own a 77 Nova but I think it will be sold for the Malibu. Love them both but dont got enough for both! :(

I will be looking for info on factory gear ratios and what to look for, Will eventually 6.0 ls swap it :)

Photos attached, (Running boards might stay on to keep the sleeper status) haha

Dad always told me... "Being fast is better than looking fast"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 272
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    134.3 KB · Views: 258
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 239
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 249
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 263
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 255
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice lookin bu, although I think the torque thrust wheels and cowl hood kinda kill the "sleeper" look.:whistle:

and what is it with the running boards???? we've been seeing alot of those pop up lately on them, mostly from north of the border...

welcome to the family btw, lots of great and knowledgeable people in here!

• Agree

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
Yea sort of kills the sleeper look, I have been looking into the RPO codes and going to look at the car this weekend and see. I am hoping for the 8.5 ring gear, my novas 7.5 blew up after foot brake launch on the street. And that is only roughly 370hp. The 6.0 will be reaching 500hp. Anything I should look for in these cars? I know about the rear frame rails already.

Edit: funny you mention the running boards are usually saw north. Thats where this car is Saskatchewan Canada haha:)

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Wow, black interior in nice shape. Overall nice car but damn those running boards! Yuck!

• Agree

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
Yeah they will be removed, Car is owned by a older lady and husband who really took care of the car. I am keeping it as is except for a floor shifter and engine swap and mods, body and interior will remain the same, maybe aftermarket gauges is as far as I will go, No drilling!!

Reactions: 1 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome ,

Car looks great , ok minus the running boards .............it's a prairies thing .

as far as a sleeper look ....the hood , the wheels but what really let's the cat out of the bag....the fuzzy dice

Austin schlacter

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 18, 2018
They will be staying if the owner doesnt want them back (fuzzy dice) haha :LOL:. I will daily it on nice days for a year, It will go into hiding and come out pi**ed off

Running boards will be coming off, Give them free to some lucky guy at a swap meet

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Welcome aboard, Austin.
That is a sweet looking Malibu....but again, those running boards just don't cut the muster.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor