Spark Plug Gap

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I went from stock .060 gap for HEI Buick 350s to .045 and it idles a bit smoother at lower rpm. I think I may have gotten 1 or 2 mpg out if it. Results may vary.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Yup like the guys above stated 045 is what GM eventually came back to after problems with rotor caps and terminal jumping after a few thousand miles the gap would open up even more ! you could go even 035 if you wanted , but 045 is the general consensus .

DR HURST 84

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 30, 2018
Yup like the guys above stated 045 is what GM eventually came back to after problems with rotor caps and terminal jumping after a few thousand miles the gap would open up even more ! you could go even 035 if you wanted , but 045 is the general consensus .

Thanks Paul!

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
Way, way back in the day, probably before most of you were born, I had a very sharp mechanic tell me that the reason the gap was opened up to over .060 was to help the low compression motors with flame propagation in the open chamber POS heads. He also told me that this only became possible with the HEI 50k volt coils.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Way, way back in the day, probably before most of you were born, I had a very sharp mechanic tell me that the reason the gap was opened up to over .060 was to help the low compression motors with flame propagation in the open chamber POS heads. He also told me that this only became possible with the HEI 50k volt coils.
Wonder what .040-.030 woud do on my L48 (10.25) with stock chambers?

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
It was due in part at least for leaner and leaner mixtures for emission concerns, as well as taking advantage of the high output coils. They soon realized that they were straining the stock system and were failing HEI parts left and right much sooner than normal. Thus, they backed off the canyon sized gap. I'm sure it was a compromise. I could see the think tank now. Some of the old goats wanting 35-40 gap and some of the newer engineers fighting for 070 or something. Probably found out that 060 was much easier on the system and still performed well enough for lean mixture burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor