spedo cable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightemup2

Master Mechanic
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
www.myspace.com
hey guys need a picture of the spedo cable, im elininating cruise controle and need to get a new spedo cable that goes from the trans straight to the spedo..i know on the transmission end of the cable there is that threaded "cup" that screws into the trans. but whats the spedo end look like that plugs into the spedo, withought taking my dash apart to find out, so i can get the cable and then start ripping the dash apart

thanks guys

If you are wanting to eliminate the cruise control transducer & go directly to the speedo, You can use a cable for a '84-85 model year or later since the later models had electronic cruise control & no longer used the transducer. The speedo end of the cable looks similar to the transmission end except there is no threaded cup. It is held in place at the back of the speedo with a spring clip. You would typically push the spring clip away from the cable casing & pull the casing straight out from the back of the speedo. Cars '83 & older with cruise used a 2 piece speedo cable. Non cruise equipped cars used a 1 piece cable.

ok gotcha, so the cable will go right from the spedo to the trans, being aprox 100inch long? maybe less, so if get an aftermarket one i need to get for a year for the 80s modle, and the 78 wouldnt work?

I suppose if you ordered a cable for a '78 without cruise control, you would get a 1 piece cable. If not, the mid 80's cars would use the 1 piece cable you would need. You should'nt have to remove the instrument box to disconnect the cable. You should be able to get to it by removing the covers below the steering column & get on your back with a flashlight & look up under the dash to see the back side of the speedo. You'll see a spring clip & use a long screwdriver to gently push the spring clip upwards while gently pulling on the cable to release it. It may help to first remove the rubber grommet from the firewall & have a helper gently pull on the cable on the engine compartment side while pushing on the spring clip. When re-installing the new cable, you would just line it up with the back of the speedo & push it in until clips into place.

Pbngem said:
I suppose if you ordered a cable for a '78 without cruise control, you would get a 1 piece cable. If not, the mid 80's cars would use the 1 piece cable you would need. You should'nt have to remove the instrument box to disconnect the cable. You should be able to get to it by removing the covers below the steering column & get on your back with a flashlight & look up under the dash to see the back side of the speedo. You'll see a spring clip & use a long screwdriver to gently push the spring clip upwards while gently pulling on the cable to release it. It may help to first remove the rubber grommet from the firewall & have a helper gently pull on the cable on the engine compartment side while pushing on the spring clip. When re-installing the new cable, you would just line it up with the back of the speedo & push it in until clips into place.

ok aweosme! thanks for the help i appreciate it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor