Speedometer Cable 1986 Cutlass Supreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
FYI, GM used two piece cables just to burn off what was left of earlier cruise control cables. I have one out of a '86 Monte just like it with the union.

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
So I now understand that the cable is connected to a "bullet", and the bullet holds the plastic gear.

The bullet will not disconnect from the cable..

If you can just tell me where I can find a single cable and the bullet, it would be much appreciated.
It actually WILL disconnect from the cable. You're just not using the right approach. It'll take more force to get it apart. It may not want to, but someone may have mucked it up beyond repair.

If you want to ensure you have enough cable, you can always get the Pioneer CA3003. It's 100" long and it doesn't have any sections in it. Guaranteed it'll reach with whatever transmission you have.

If you don't have a good idea what kind of transmission you have, I'm going to simply go with what you said, a TH350. Even if it's a 200 or 250, it's the same bullet.

Here's a bullet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TQ5LWE/?tag=gbody-20

Good luck.

Reactions: 2 users

Emhendo

Apprentice
May 20, 2019
Chicago Soufsidee
It actually WILL disconnect from the cable. You're just not using the right approach. It'll take more force to get it apart. It may not want to, but someone may have mucked it up beyond repair.

If you want to ensure you have enough cable, you can always get the Pioneer CA3003. It's 100" long and it doesn't have any sections in it. Guaranteed it'll reach with whatever transmission you have.

If you don't have a good idea what kind of transmission you have, I'm going to simply go with what you said, a TH350. Even if it's a 200 or 250, it's the same bullet.

Here's a bullet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TQ5LWE/?tag=gbody-20

Good luck.
Mosdef gonna order all of these first thing in the morning.

Also, is there a difference in the drive gear's tooth count? I'm gonna buy a new gear, but I'm seeing different teeth counts. My gear has 18 teeth for example. Is one better than the other?

More teeth on the gear the better?
or less teeth are better?

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
No, the tooth count has to match what's there, or the speedo will be off. The gear should just pull put of the bullet. Unless it's missing teeth, it should be fine.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor