Sport mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Tony,
The later style '86 +sport mirrors are mounted to the upper bodyline on the Malibu and/ or El Camino. You'll definitely need the El Camino base gaskets...they have the proper mounting angle.
You will have to drill new holes as 565bbc has stated...and of course weld up the old mirror holes.
You will have to add reinforcement plates to at least the passenger side....the driver side has one that you will be able to drill thru...if I recall correctly.

I would suggest removing the studs from the mirror bases, and with help from a friend, hold the mirror to the best position...outline the bases and use the gasket as a template to drill the new holes.
Pretty simple.

Jack looks like the first pic Tony put up is for the 85 and older sport mirrors so if those are the ones he's using he shouldn't have to drill new holes....except for the RH side if not equipped with RH mirror.

Tony here's a pic of the reinforcement plate for the RH side that 565 mentioned...it's riveted in...

tITBNX.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I know it would be pretty easy to fab up a plate for the passenger side reinforcement especially when you don't need the center hole for a remote cable.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack looks like the first pic Tony put up is for the 85 and older sport mirrors so if those are the ones he's using he shouldn't have to drill new holes....except for the RH side if not equipped with RH mirror.

Tony here's a pic of the reinforcement plate for the RH side that 565 mentioned...it's riveted in...

tITBNX.jpg
Kevin,
My mistake. I looked at the picture briefly without enlarging it, and assumed they were the later style mirror....my apology for the oversight.

As for the reinforcement piece, I removed one from my drivers door that was similar to the one you're showing , but longer, in order to fit into the lower cross brace.

Reactions: 1 user

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Kevin,
My mistake. I looked at the picture briefly without enlarging it, and assumed they were the later style mirror....my apology for the oversight.

As for the reinforcement piece, I removed one from my drivers door that was similar to the one you're showing , but longer, in order to fit into the lower cross brace.

No need to apologize Jack, I had actually wondered if I had missed something until I looked at the pic enlarged.

Reactions: 1 user

Tonyjones345

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 8, 2017

tITBNX.jpg
Thanks for the picture and I'll get my buddy at work to fab me one up Monday

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
Anybody replaced the bullet mirrors with the sport mirrors? I pulled some off a Caprice but after looking inside my door it looks like there's a plaque that's not gonna allow the length of the mirror studs to clear. Let me upload a pic. PS I have a 81 elky.

Last edited:

RustBucket

Greasemonkey
Feb 8, 2018
Houston, TX
right where the sport mirror is supposed to be mounted (closer to front of door) there is a molding that comes out a bit and I know the mirror studs wont reach past that. any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor