springs shocks

Status
Not open for further replies.

torque455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2009
ok i had found by many cutlass owners with swapped 455/bb motor that a nice directly upgrade to suspension can be done with s-10 Moog 5660 front coil springs and Moog 5409 Moog rear coil springs,but what are the shock combo's for rear and front.....im sure with moog new springs there will be a difference in height /load on shocks ....what are yall using ....trying to keep it cheap....stock replacements from another car are fine with me...moog part numbers would be better ...and need same mounting configuration.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
torque455 said:
ok i had found by many cutlass owners with swapped 455/bb motor that a nice directly upgrade to suspension can be done with s-10 Moog 5660 front coil springs and Moog 5409 Moog rear coil springs,but what are the shock combo's for rear and front.....im sure with moog new springs there will be a difference in height /load on shocks ....what are yall using ....trying to keep it cheap....stock replacements from another car are fine with me...moog part numbers would be better ...and need same mounting configuration.

Moog makes shocks?

torque455

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 17, 2009
no i said coil springs,not sure about shocks......but would be easier to order if they did

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
torque455 said:
no i said coil springs,not sure about shocks......but would be easier to order if they did

Federal Mogul owns Moog and used to have controlling interests in Gabriel. So actually Moog doesn't do shocks. As long as you are talking O.E.M. replacement springs or springs of the same height ... I'd just use an O.E.M. application shock. Gabriel, Monroe, Bilstein et cetera or one of the many performance applications. Just like it's being discussed on your thread on Oldspower.com. Your biggest non-OEM concern will be the extra weight from the BBO ... you may want stiffer springs up front.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
If your car is a factory V8 car, don't bother with stiffer springs, a big block Olds only weighs 45 pounds more than a small block Olds.
An F41 equivelent spring will be just fine.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Blake442 said:
If your car is a factory V8 car, don't bother with stiffer springs, a big block Olds only weighs 45 pounds more than a small block Olds.
An F41 equivelent spring will be just fine.

when you figure he probably lacks A/C and all the emissions crap ... probably evens out!

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
I was not aware the F-41 package included stiffer springs unless packaged with a GN/Ttype/442/MCSS. I thought it was stricktly a thicker front sway bar with the addition of a rear sway bar. The standard gbody 345lb spring rateing is in my experience too weak and was barely strong enough for the 307/305 but the 420lb spring of the GN/442/MCSS especially with the bigger sway bars and 15x7 wheels work a lot better. The Moog 5658, 5660, or 5662 work even better but naturally as to which depends on your intended use & ride firmness taste. The Moogs are inexpensive springs compared to the stuff with pretty paint but work well. (Naturally that would be relative to a competition racer) But as for shocks imo don't cheap out here good shocks are worth the money. Ever drove a gbody that felt and handled (along with other components) more like a higher end BMW? Shocks are a big part of that equation. Billenstein or Edelbrock ISAs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor