Stall question....

Status
Not open for further replies.

efigp83

Apprentice
Sep 22, 2011
Tinley Park, IL
good luck getting in the 20's when i started messing with my car i was getting about 18 on the highway with a 305 3speed trans and a 229 gear. when i started building the car i swapped out a GN rearend into it (3.42) and put a 700r4 trans in it with 11" lock up. I did not lose 1 mpg and i could get the car to chirp 2nd now. But i have to say with the set up i have now i am getting about 16mpg on the highway which is really good with the sixe of cam i have and gear.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
From the figuring I have done, and what some others on here did with a virtual dyno, I should avg. 380ish on hp and torque, with my setup.....iirc, the cam is 1500-6000 rpm, although I don't plan on revving it out.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Ive got a similar scenario w/my swap. Im running a 2.41 rear, 2004r and a 2000 stall. W/ the lockup disconnected, the car should run about 70mph at 2200 rpms in 3rd gear w/ a 26.4 inch tire. When the lock up is connected, the motor lugs at that speed. So, I hope that by changing the rear axle ratio to 3.23, the motor will turn around 2900 at 70mph in 3rd and around 2000 in OD, which is an acceptable rpm for mileage and torque....

http://www.angelfire.com/fl/procrastination/rear.html

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
just a question regarding this topic..... Ive got a 2.41 rear gear, 2004r and 2000 stall. According to this website, my motor should drop almost 800 rpms from 3rd to 4th and OD. but, when I drive the car, it shifts at around 2000 rpms at part throttle and at 60mph, its at almost 2000 rpms in 4th gear w/out the lockup on. I was under the impression that OD doesnt drop the rpms more than a few hundred. Is the 4th gear ratio given as .67 including the lockup?

and is this calculator way off or is it in my speedometer? I realize that the gearing is not correct for a 4sp OD trans, but something just doesnt add up.....any ideas? Tire is 225/70/14 w/2.59 (2.41 isnt a choice)
http://tri-5.chevyrides.com/rpm.php

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
papabearxl said:
From the figuring I have done, and what some others on here did with a virtual dyno, I should avg. 380ish on hp and torque, with my setup.....iirc, the cam is 1500-6000 rpm, although I don't plan on revving it out.

If you're refering to the car in your sig with the 330, I think you have a big mismatch of parts and semi-unrealistic expectations. Your engine is built to rev and make decent horsepower up top, but you're killing it with those gears and mild stall plus you say you don't even want to rev it.

Bottom line, your engine is built to rev and make good HP up top, but you're trying to force it into low RPM highway cruiser duty which is something your engine simply isn't built to be good at doing. You need much steeper gears and a bigger stall to realize the full potential of your engine, but if you do then gas milage won't be that great BUT even with your puny gears and stall it still isn't all that great anyway ( plus your performance is sorely lacking down low ). Again though, I'm assuming you're refering to your 330 build in your sig.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
DoubleV said:
papabearxl said:

If you're refering to the car in your sig with the 330, I think you have a big mismatch of parts and semi-unrealistic expectations. Your engine is built to rev and make decent horsepower up top, but you're killing it with those gears and mild stall plus you say you don't even want to rev it.

Bottom line, your engine is built to rev and make good HP up top, but you're trying to force it into low RPM highway cruiser duty which is something your engine simply isn't built to be good at doing. You need much steeper gears and a bigger stall to realize the full potential of your engine, but if you do then gas milage won't be that great BUT even with your puny gears and stall it still isn't all that great anyway ( plus your performance is sorely lacking down low ). Again though, I'm assuming you're refering to your 330 build in your sig.
Yes, I am referring to the 330 in my signature. I was hoping that UNTIL I can get a good rear gear that I would be doing ok...as for the stall, that is what the transmission builder recommended based upon motor specs....it isn't on the road yet, so I will just have to play with it when it is road ready.

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
And when I said I don't want to rev it, I mean I don't want to be running 3000 rpm at highway speed. I plan on thrashing it, when all is said and done.

GT_80

Greasemonkey
Apr 23, 2013
Massachusetts
you may have an issue where it is slipping all the time when cruising. I had a 3000 rpm stall in my truck with 4:10 gears and if I cruised around town it would slip till i mashed the gas and it flashed past 3000, then it would stay 'locked' till i came to a stop and it would slip again. It gave me about 7-8 mpg on a 425 crank hp sbc motor with a th350

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor