Starter issue

Puddin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 22, 2024
I have a 79 cutlass with a built 455 in it

the headers are so close to the starter and when I drive for 30 plus minutes and shut car off it does not want to crank cranks maybe once twice

it’s a cvr pro torque starter serial 177331

not sure if wrapping it in heat shield will solve this or what should I do ?

I just bought the car so this is new to me

Had a similar issue on a Buick 455. Never resolved the issue before hanging up that project. Never gave up looking for the why. Iirc seems like too much initial timing can be hard on starters.

Reactions: 08Malibu
Heat shield is what is needed, however problem is space. The starter is heat soaking. Known as "heat soak". Starter windings are hot, increases resistance and end result is starter does not want to turn over. It acts like battery is run down or dead.

Reactions: Puddin
On the Trans Am the solution was to purchase the starter for the Pontiac 455 station wagon. Had narrower diameter starter body and heavy duty windings. Not sure which one would work for this application.

Typical experience is cold start on cold engine, drive to store, come out of store 10 - 20 minutes later and everything seems to act like low battery. Let car sit for an hour or two and starts like normal. Chase your tail trying to find cause of low battery but never can. Let car sit about 2 hours..., fires right up.

Issue is heat soak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Puddin
On the Trans Am the solution was to purchase the starter for the Pontiac 455 station wagon. Had narrower diameter starter body and heavy duty windings. Not sure which one would work for this application.

Typical experience is cold start on cold engine, drive to store, come out of store 10 - 20 minutes later and everything seems to act like low battery. Let car sit for an hour or two and starts like normal. Chase your tail trying to find cause of low battery but never can. Let car sit about 2 hours..., fires right up.

Issue is heat soak.
How about installing a mini starter?
Surely someone must make one for the 455
Turbo Buick guys use these all the time
They are way smaller , less weight too

I have a 79 cutlass with a built 455 in it
the headers are so close to the starter and when I drive for 30 plus minutes and shut car off it does not want to crank,cranks maybe once twice
it’s a cvr pro torque starter serial 177331
not sure if wrapping it in heat shield will solve this or what should I do ?
I just bought the car so this is new to me
have you thought of trying a shield that wraps around it like one from D.EI?it's short money and it might help.

Supposedly the permanent magnet starters have a smaller body because they don't need or use the fields like a normal starter does. Smaller starter body with the same cranking ability and more air circulation room around it might be one solution.

Nick

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor