MALIBU Steering Box Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
I just picked up a steering box from a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. What are the identification marks on the box that will indicate it is a close ratio? I plan on installing it on my 80 Malibu.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
If I'm not mistaken, all the Cherokee boxes are quick ratio . Good find. I hope you have the G-body pitman arm that fits an 800 series box.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
None. No way to tell without checking turn to turn positvely. Of course, if it still had any ink stampings left on it anywhere, you could decipher the code and figure it out, but after 25 years it likely doesn't.

If it's a factory unit, and if it follows Longroof79 assertion of all of them being quick ratio, then that's probably ok. I'd still do a lock to lock turn check on it. Anything less than 3 turns lock to lock is a keeper in my book.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I recall seeing an article in an older Hot Rod Magazine which mentions the Jeep Cherokee 800 series box being an alternative to the Monte SS, 442, etc.
However, I would agree with you as far as turning it from lock to lock...and if it is 3-turns or less, it's what you want.

Reactions: 1 user

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
Thanks, I’ll check out the lock to lock.
I have the pitman arm that came on the box. Will it work or do I need to get something else? If so, what?

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Thanks, I’ll check out the lock to lock.
I have the pitman arm that came on the box. Will it work or do I need to get something else? If so, what?
I don't think the Jeep pitman arm is the same length and angle. Of course, you'd have to compare it to a G-body 800 series pitman arm. What's in your car currently? It's either an 800 series or a Saginaw 604. The 604 pitman arm will not interchange with the 800 arm. Therefore can't be used on an 800 box.
If need be, Summit sells new replacement 800 pitman arms last time I checked.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Pitman arm you need is GM p/n 7837648. Discontinued from GM, but you run across them every now and again. Or if you're in the j/y and run across ANY 800 series box in a G-body with the arm still attached. Bring a pitman puller though.

Per usual, Longroof79 is right again. Summit sells an aftermarket. $45

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
I just picked up a steering box from a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee. What are the identification marks on the box that will indicate it is a close ratio? I plan on installing it on my 80 Malibu.
take a look @ this article,see if there's any similarites

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

oldsmobile joe

Royal Smart Person
Nov 12, 2015
mpls
the jeep box has 7.5 more degrees of travel. this may cause tire rub.
here are some specs.
Screen Shot 2020-12-12 at 6.16.59 PM.png

• Informative
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor