steering boxes...........Grand National or Monte Carlo ss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks 😀 I was surprised how well it turned out for an afternoon of sanding & spraying... I think I spent 6 hours total on it :lol:

A little clarification please?

I want to replace my round cover box that leaks REALLY bad. Can I get a rebuilt unit for an F41 suspension and just drop in? Are the hoses the same? and Do I need to replace the pitman arm too?
Thanks.

Re: A little clarification please?

bkbuggin said:
I want to replace my round cover box that leaks REALLY bad. Can I get a rebuilt unit for an F41 suspension and just drop in? Are the hoses the same? and Do I need to replace the pitman arm too?
Thanks.
=================================================
You can price out a rebuilt steering box from Advance, Auto Zone, NAPA. etc.
Specify one from Monte Carlo SS, IROC Camaro, Buick GN, H/O- or 442, Pontiac TransAm WS-6. You will need to find a pitman arm from a 4-bolt cover box (800 series). The round cover (605 series) pitman will not fit the 800 series box.
What year is your wagon?

Re: A little clarification please?

Longroof79 said:
bkbuggin said:
Thanks.
=================================================
You can price out a rebuilt steering box from Advance, Auto Zone, NAPA. etc.
Specify one from Monte Carlo SS, IROC Camaro, Buick GN, H/O- or 442, Pontiac TransAm WS-6. You will need to find a pitman arm from a 4-bolt cover box (800 series). The round cover (605 series) pitman will not fit the 800 series box.
What year is your wagon?

It is an 83 but I have a square top with a piman arm from an 81 2 door that I got for parts. I don't trust this box so I was going to use it as a core. I dont think they will check to see if it is a close ratio box at the parts store.
Thanks for the info.

Not all MCSS boxes are quick ratio. Count the turns lock to lock. Should be about 2 3/4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor