Steering Column Repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
At one time someone tried to steal the Cutlass I have, and they put a hole in the column on the shift collar right in front of the blinker/ wiper switch, and they broke the little chrome ears off of the igniton switch and then I guess they go caught because they never went any farther then that. In addition to that the column has the usual tilt column wobble, is there anywhere I can get parts to fix this stuff? I would imagine the collar probably isnt being reproduced. As of now the ignition switch doesnt return from the start position by itself will that be fixed by replacing the tumbler? The car is column shift by the way.

supercrackerbox

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2008
Lincoln NE
Yes, that is the easy way. The Saginaw tilt columns can be repaired, but the farther you get into it, the more specialized tools you'll need. The bolts that cause the wobble issue are pretty deep inside; last one I did took me about five hours. Not to mention you'd likely need another column for donor parts anyway.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
my friend an i did it to his 87 trans am we fixed it in the freezing cold.. but we had heat lamps ,but anyway i need to do it to my 80 cutlass to however i havent got around to it yet.. but i'm sure you can do without buying a whole new column.

86cutlassrules

Greasemonkey
Dec 12, 2008
Sorry it took me so long to respond but my comp crashed a few hours after posting, I goto technical school so I may be able to borrow a few tools and do it up there, what other columns would fit my car is it just Grand Prix, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, and Regal? Or will other non G bodies fit? The junk yard I goto decided to crush everything old so its getting tricky to find things by me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor