Steering play video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Do you use factory caster spec or something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Make sure you know which box you have before simply replacing it. If you have a round top then you have the 600 series standard box. But I was under the impression that Calais got the 800 series 4 bolt top box standard.

If you have the 800 series with the 4 bolts on the cover and adjuster in the middle, you're in a great starting place. Still, the stops may be different but a 2.5 lock to lock box will bolt right in.

Reason I say this, is you can't mix and match the pitman arms that connect to the box. You have to get a pitman arm to fit whichever series style box you install. If you're simply replacing like for like, you're ok as is. But if you have one and change to the other, you'll need to get a matching pitman arm to fit the new box.

New pitman arms for the 4 bolt box can be had for about 79 bucks shipped if you need one. If you already have a 4-bolt top box, you won't need to get one.
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=290878717984

Plus, if you have an old steering pump mated with the newer "metric" box in your 83, you have to have a different hose or adapter or something. The old stuff uses inverted flare while the newer boxes use O-ring seals.

But first, diagnose the issue as to WHY and WHERE you're actually getting the slop. It may be one place, it could be many places.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Thanks I have a 4 bolt cover with adjuster in the middle I just think mine isn’t quick ratio and I definitely intended to check the rest of the setup prior to replacing the box I am trying to avoid that because of budget so I’m still hoping it’s something else and from what I can tell there are no adapters I believe it is all flare fittings the only o ring fittings on the car I know of are on the R4 compressor.

Stupidquestionspro

Master Mechanic
May 23, 2019
Tampa Bay Area
Well shaking it down all is well with the lower steering shaft the connection between the column and lower shaft had too much play for my liking so I took it apart made Sure everything was squared away and slid the lower as far up the column as I could and held it there while I tightened the pinch bolt then made the pinch bolt extra snug so now there isn’t anymore play in that connection though I’m afraid it may slide back down since it’s a slotted hole with some vibration we will see. I’m not sure how much the steering box is supposed to turn by hand on the shaft without resistance but it turns back and forth a bit before I hit resistance. And it looks like the seal where the spline is may be slightly leaking.

Verified the shaft was installed on the spline with the flat spot up so I may need to adjust box preload.

Though I am concerned the column may have too much play you could wiggle it up and down side to side and in and out a bit from the engine side so curious about that and the bearings inside the column as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor