Steering rebuild 1978 Cutlass

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
My 1978 Cutlass Supreme is low miles (< 30,000). The steering feels good, but is off center. It doesn't look like any of the crusty tie rod ends are bent. I have a goal to replace every dry-rotted bushing and booted joint, so I've put this part list with Moog parts. It's coming to $175 on Amazon and $167 on Rock Auto, which is $100 less than the "proforged" kit with similar parts (nicer adjusting sleeve).

Does this look like a good kit? What is the likely culprit with the steering wheel off by 15-degrees?

It looks like that Pitman arm isn't a thing that wears-out (has no rubber and is splined). I'm fairly certain I can use the crusty OEM Pitman arm without issue.

Notice the shocks... good, but not best. May eventually flip this car.

1709301663600.png

Last edited:

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Inspect the steering and suspension and only replace worn or damaged parts. The new parts, including Moog, are mostly made in China and won't last as long as the originals. You can buy just a boot kit from Summit. As to the steering wheel being off, maybe the last person to align it didn't center the wheel. Make sure that you don't have a broken stabilizer link.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Inspect the steering and suspension and only replace worn or damaged parts. The new parts, including Moog, are mostly made in China and won't last as long as the originals. You can buy just a boot kit from Summit. As to the steering wheel being off, maybe the last person to align it didn't center the wheel. Make sure that you don't have a broken stabilizer link.
I did replace the dry-rotted front swaybar link with new rubber Delphi part with Moog nylon bushing for the 27mm front swaybar.

This is good input. Here is a picture of the steering equipment. It is low miles, but certainly not garage kept. Car was laying on the frame rails under a shade tree for a decade. Would you drive on this at 80 MPH? If so, I'll just get it aligned after I replace the control arm bushings.

At the very least I believe I'm going to replace these tie rod ends. Not sure why the car would have had an alignment at any time in 26,000 miles, and I am puzzled by the steering wheel being off center.
20240301_105652.jpg
20240301_105634.jpg
20240301_105631.jpg
20240301_105611.jpg

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
Yea, that's pretty rusty! It may even be difficult to turn those tie rod sleeves. Are you sure that it's not 126k? I see the threaded portion of the tie rods are all different lengths. The right outer has almost no threads showing. I'd say the tie rods were replaced at some time. You're right, you need tie rods.

Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Yea, that's pretty rusty! It may even be difficult to turn those tie rod sleeves. Are you sure that it's not 126k? I see the threaded portion of the tie rods are all different lengths. The right outer has almost no threads showing. I'd say the tie rods were replaced at some time. You're right, you need tie rods.
Hey, THANKS for observing that!! I see it now! Man I feel dumb for not noticing things sometimes.

I definitely think the car is 26,000 miles based on many other indications, but it seems to have jumped a curb at one time or another or been in an accident and had the tie rods replaced.

Reactions: 1 user

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
Hey, THANKS for observing that!! I see it now! Man I feel dumb for not noticing things sometimes.

I definitely think the car is 26,000 miles based on many other indications, but it seems to have jumped a curb at one time or another or been in an accident and had the tie rods replaced.

Got me wondering what else might be bent. The spindles? Maybe the control arms? Why would someone dial in the tie rods so skewed?

I have spare spindles with low mile rotors from the '84 Monte with metric wheel studs... hmmm. Might just swap them out to be safe.

Something has to be bent.

86 Salon

Apprentice
Mar 14, 2021
I would just replace the tie rods and take it for an alignment. If the spindles are bent, the SAI or toe out on turns will be off. It takes quite a bit to bend a spindle. As for the way the tie rods are installed, it was probably just someone inexperienced that installed them. I have got cars in for an alignment where someone replaced one tie rod and screwed it in all the way. I would have to knock it loose and install it correctly. Don't over think it.

Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor