Steering wheel issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

79MaliCrazz

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2010
Lake Wylie,SC
My friend and I tackled a ignition issue that lead us to do the tilt steering column repair which was needed so we did it it came out great but the problem is after everything was put back and we when to steer the steering wheel is hard to turn almost like I have no power steering what can be wrong some one told me that it could be the bearing that's in the steering that might need to be changed what do you guys think.

Nobody has any answers for me.

id probably pull it back appart and check recheck everything.

Ah yes. I had the same sweet ignition problem with mine. I tightened it a few different times over the years, but eventually... I just got a new column, but there's probably still hope for yours. I would say just try what the other guy said, as in taking it apart, and re-checking. A few times I did mine I had the spring in the wrong spot (above the lock plate). If you need replacement parts, make sure you order something like this: http://jandsreps.com/j-parts01.htm (GM BEARING KIT, 3rd one down). There were two different times I tried to order "Steering Wheel Bearing" from AutoPartsWarehouse and got sent a part that didn't fit (even though the picture on the website was right). Hope you get it all figured out.

I suppose as a note of humility; I let my column get so bad and lose, and I originally remedied the problem by jamming a bolt in the bend of the column as I noticed the in and out movement killed the ignition (yes while driving). Finally I was downtown in my city on a three-laned road, making a left hand turn in the middle lane and the parts inside completely ripped away from the ignition, killing the car and leaving the tires cocked for a turn. I rolled across the adjacent lane, up onto the curb... I had to call a flat-bed to drag it out and home. It was so nasty: turning the steering wheel changed the gears. Getting it on the truck was a nightmare. Yikes.

Anyway, good luck!

Thanks I will be ordering those bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor