Sticky Steering wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clarkwb100

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 7, 2019
Sugar Land, Texas
I have an old Camaro / Vega steering wheel in my El Camino. I have have had it covered with leather and really like it. But the exposed plastic feels sticky. I have cleaned it with numerous products including acetone but cannot get the stickiness go away. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_2128.jpg
    IMG_2128.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 79

ELCAM

Royal Smart Person
Jun 19, 2021
Liquid dish soap undiluted and a stiff brush. Scrub it out good wipe it off and do it again. Had mine off at the time and finished it off with very hot water and soap and water mixture.

FYI These wheels also came on 71-2 GMC Sprint SP cars and C3 Corvettes.

Reactions: 2 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Depending on how heavily driven the donor car was, that stickyness maybe deep into the wheel. I have one of those NK4 wheels I pulled fro a '80's Cavalier & it till "oozes" the stickyness on really hot days & this is after I scrubbed & cleanned it really good to recolor it dark maple. Yet I have another one that doesn't get sticky & is about the same age.

Reactions: 1 user

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
This has been a problem with those wheels forever. Olds sport wheels from the early 70s used to outgas like a **** turning into flystrips. The plasticizers in the rubber bits outgas over the decades. Yes, decades. You won't be able to stop it, but you can clean it. That's about all you can do. Some people claim that you can use 303 Protectant afterwards to help slow it down, some as long as a year or more, but I've personally never done that- yet.

Get this, you will love it. It won't hurt the rubber bits at all. Comes in a spray bottle or the larger gallon size.

thumbnail.asp

Gallon size on sale at Amazon-

Goo Gone works well too.

Reactions: 3 users

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I was never able to get the sticky off of mine. I would clean and it would be fine. Next time I drove the car it was sticky

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor