stress cracks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
SDC11160.jpg

anyone else getting stress cracks i wish they would have made this part thicker cause of this reason... what would be best way to fix these?

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
X2 on the repair. I found a small stress crack on the b pillar at the corner :shock: Why would this happen? Body bushings worn out?

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
not many replys on this,.... must not be many cars having this problem

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
I think stress cracks are more common with t top cars since there is less strength in the body. I don't think more powerful engines help much either.

1badbu

Greasemonkey
Jul 28, 2010
Kentucky
My 79' 2dr. Bu has cracks on both front pillars.

I suspect mine were caused because of a weakened frame on the rear do to some rust on the right rear frame horn and a lot of drag racing.

I hope when I get the better frame under it that I can take the window out and weld them up.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
another problem rust

ok guys well after having some time to look at the car i noticed bad problem... ok years ago the car had been vandalized an someone cracked the windshield at this time the car wasnt mine, so the glass shop said that right there in the corner was rusted out pretty bad so they did a half *ss job of fiberglassing that corner where the cracks are... well if it was fixed the right way it could have been saved, however i now have to pull the glass out an hope that corner doesnt just crumble down, if i can try an weld in piece metal also looks like they didnt put the trim on right theres a gap in between the windshield an trim piece (underside) of it.. so i'll take some pics tomarrow but it's bad i'm almost at point of shiiit where to start to save this..

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
As far as I know they all do it, My mom had an 81 Camino the a-pillars developed small hair line cracks at the factory lead seams. They were repaired under warranty. They came back less than a year later. My 78 was like that when I bought her in 82. I have had the car repainted three time's in the last 30 years.they just keep coming back.
My buddy with a 87 Camino ground all the factory lead out and welded strips of metal back in place and metal finished them . the car was painted three weeks ago, and time will tell if our fix worked.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
tc1959 said:
As far as I know they all do it, My mom had an 81 Camino the a-pillars developed small hair line cracks at the factory lead seams. They were repaired under warranty. They came back less than a year later. My 78 was like that when I bought her in 82. I have had the car repainted three time's in the last 30 years.they just keep coming back.
My buddy with a 87 Camino ground all the factory lead out and welded strips of metal back in place and metal finished them . the car was painted three weeks ago, and time will tell if our fix worked.

Guess i will keep that on mind when the "Bodywork" stage comes around... As far as i know my car hasn't been a victim of car thieves. I just hate the idea of them coming back. :shock: My car was involved in a minor accident a while back but it wasn't that messed up. i am looking into getting my paint job done sometime "soon" and NEED to find a solution that;s permanent. :wink:

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
tc1959 said:

That's pretty much what you have to do. My hardtop car had the stress cracks at the B-pillars originating right at the corner where the drip rails ends.

After grinding down my roof and melting out the lead you can see why this is a problem. I think its the only area where the factory didn't actually braze the two pieces of metal together. At the window channels they brazed/welded the roof skin to the side panel skins which is what I think helps keep things from cracking.

Cutty1

Master Mechanic
Nov 29, 2008
metro detroit
yea GM did a shita job on deciding how well they should have the pillars welded, i think my first time learning to weld will be interesting ,

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor