STRIPPEDDD!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

98whitez24

Greasemonkey
Mar 17, 2011
hey guys, i feel like a dumbass but my starter went the other day, ordered one yesterday, went to put it in today and got the longer bolt out, but stripped the shorter bolt.(engine is 305 sbc), my question is how can i get the bolt out? Ive tried an impact gun, got nowhere but an even more round bolt... any suggestions on how to get it out?? i used a 14mm socket. 🙂 thanks in advance

2 days later and still no help? pleasee i know there's gotta be some sort of simple answer

Hammer on a12 point 13mm if you can. Use a long handle ratchet or a breaker bar. If that don't work cut the head off and sacrafice the core. Good luck!

You could also try heating up the bolt and mainly around the block where it is installed with a torch, if you had one. It is definitely seized now and might consider lifting the car in the air a bit to get better access a well. Have you tried tightening it back down? You might be able to loosen it a bit going back and forth.

You could cut the head of the bolt off. That will allow you to get the starter out of the way. Then you can use a stud extractor to get the bolt out :idea:

If it's the head of the bold you can break it off (hammer and chisel, airhammer, torch, etc.) take the starter out, weld a nut on the stud and use a torch to heat up the area the bolt goes into the block and take it out with a breaker bar, impact, etc.

For future reference, never ever try to break a crusty bolt loose with a 12 point socket. Always use 6 point because there's less chance of rounding it off.

What 455rocket is describing is after it's been rounded off. I had to use that method on corroded exhaust manifold bolts before. This is why I'm a big advocate of anti-seize too!

well what i had done was used a 15 mm socket on it because it was a tight fit, started reefing on it, then the 15 mm was too big, so i got a 14 mm socket and a breaker bar & it did nothing, the top of the bolt was already rounded off when i got to it though 🙁 sooo looks like im taking it to my local shop.... i don't got any of that high priced tools just yet lol, need a garage first lol

Another way to do it is if you have a welder, weld a socket (or something, could be anything that can be wrenched on) to the end of the bolt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor