stumped on girlfriend's car..

Status
Not open for further replies.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
Okay, so the engine doesnt overheat. The gauge reads HOT after like 5 mins of idling. There is water flow. But none of the hoses get warm and the heater blows cold air along with a bunxh of steam. So the heater core is bad. Right? The fans also never come on..

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It has an air pocket behind the thermostat. There's a bleeder (looks like a brake bleeder) near the thermostat. Crack it open and fill the radiator until coolant comes out steady. Close bleeder and start the car. Let it run for a while. As it warms up, occasionally crack it open again to let any air escape.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
DRIVEN said:
It has an air pocket behind the thermostat. There's a bleeder (looks like a brake bleeder) near the thermostat. Crack it open and fill the radiator until coolant comes out steady. Close bleeder and start the car. Let it run for a while. As it warms up, occasionally crack it open again to let any air escape.

X2.

monte olrac

G-Body Guru
Feb 11, 2009
Wichita damn Falls Tx.
sounds like the heater core has a by-pass valve also check the mix ratio of coolant to water and check the thermostat for proper operation and heat range.

rustyroger

G-Body Guru
Mar 14, 2007
Margate, UK>
79cutlasssalon442 said:
Okay, so the engine doesnt overheat. The gauge reads HOT after like 5 mins of idling. There is water flow. But none of the hoses get warm and the heater blows cold air along with a bunxh of steam. So the heater core is bad. Right? The fans also never come on..

Your heater vents are puffing out steam?, right after a self confessed non expert has replaced the core?. Looks like your first job is take the core out again, check it for leaks and install it properly. It's unlikely that the thermostat, water pump etc have all failed at once, not impossible but very unlikely.

Roger.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
The steam out the vents could very well be leftover moisture from the previous leak if the heater box wasn't dried out.

79cutlasssalon442

Master Mechanic
Jan 25, 2012
I tried the bleeder screw already. I read about it somewhere online and i tried it and nothing came out. I probably turned it two or three turns out.

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Take the bleeder screw off. It could be clogged itself. They get clogged easily.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor