Summit Transmissions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
megaladon6 said:
as said, summit brand is really rebranding of good suppliers.
HOWEVER, i always have to ask, why are the companies allowing this? is it just because summit can buy in bulk? or are the products seconds?
regardless, i have never heard anything bad about summit stuff.

Taken from www.thirdgen.org

Summit doesn't make anything.

Name brands sell them rights to slap their logo on stuff and sell it for less.

Why? more sales.

Like Summit ign boxes are just Mallory units for less.

Summits new street carb is just a Holly avenger street carb.

Do some dective work to find out who gears they really care.

Nearly all off brands are like that, its a name brand product sold for less for more volume. As its the name brand that makes it cost more, not the product quality.

Its just smart business, either provide the low cost alternative and still get some cash from the sales, or someone else will.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts ... post5.html

That's basically it. I beleive Summit uses Motive gears for their ring and pinions. The Summit carb is an exact replica of the Holley street avenger. It's all about the name.

You figure these companies make a product for x amount of dollars, and charge 5x for the product. Well they aren't selling like they thought they would, so instead of dropping the name brand product down to 2x, they drop it to 4x and sell a "knock off" brand cheaper. This way they don't really make their company look like they are desperate to sell something.

The rear diff covers are the same way. I beleive it's Moser, TA Performance, and Summit all have the same exact cover design, with the difference in the engravement on the back.

454muscle

Royal Smart Person
Jan 31, 2010
Ontario, Canada eh!
79loserbluebu said:
megaladon6 said:
as said, summit brand is really rebranding of good suppliers.
HOWEVER, i always have to ask, why are the companies allowing this? is it just because summit can buy in bulk? or are the products seconds?
regardless, i have never heard anything bad about summit stuff.

Taken from http://www.thirdgen.org

Summit doesn't make anything.

Name brands sell them rights to slap their logo on stuff and sell it for less.

Why? more sales.

Like Summit ign boxes are just Mallory units for less.

Summits new street carb is just a Holly avenger street carb.

Do some dective work to find out who gears they really care.

Nearly all off brands are like that, its a name brand product sold for less for more volume. As its the name brand that makes it cost more, not the product quality.

Its just smart business, either provide the low cost alternative and still get some cash from the sales, or someone else will.
http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/posts ... post5.html

That's basically it. I beleive Summit uses Motive gears for their ring and pinions. The Summit carb is an exact replica of the Holley street avenger. It's all about the name.

You figure these companies make a product for x amount of dollars, and charge 5x for the product. Well they aren't selling like they thought they would, so instead of dropping the name brand product down to 2x, they drop it to 4x and sell a "knock off" brand cheaper. This way they don't really make their company look like they are desperate to sell something.

The rear diff covers are the same way. I beleive it's Moser, TA Performance, and Summit all have the same exact cover design, with the difference in the engravement on the back.

^^^ That's good info right there. Is it the same for Jegs? Anyone know? I imagine it would be. Sometimes Jegs is cheaper and vice versa.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
unfortunately, that doesn't prove anything. has summit or one of their suppliers ever made an official statement concerning this?
sorry, but without provenance that post is just his opinion.
i'm not trash talking summit or their parts, i just want to know exactly what they are. if they're blems, who cares, if they're seconds, i may have a problem. if they are truly rebrands, that great

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
A company like Summit would not sell 2nd products. I don't think they would put their name on the line if a part had a greater chance of failure than a name brand.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
sorry, i've heard THAT one before. hell, name brand companies have put out product they know to be "off". and under their own name.

Mar 5, 2011
My suggestion would be to get a reputable, local, shop to build you a trany. Then you can get exactly the parts you want in it and if something goes wrong, you can just drive around the corner to deal with the issue, not crate it up and ship it back to Reno. You may even get a better deal and it keeps your money local.
just a thought.
-R

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
Generally I would and have bought Summit or Jegs brand. That said if I could get a local builder to give me the same deal on a th350 or th400 I would rather do that. On the flip side I would not buy a 200-4R from them and I am not sure that if in the odd case that I would want a 700-4R for a 4 wheel drive truck or something that I would buy that there either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor