swap the steering column

Status
Not open for further replies.

creepin cutty

Apprentice
Nov 16, 2006
i want to swap the steering column on my 86 cutlass but i dont know the length i need to order or diameter, its also a floor shifter if you guys have any info let me know
oh and i'm also putting in a 455 buick v8 8)

RedHotRegal

Master Mechanic
Mar 26, 2006
Ontario, Canada
I looked but don't see it anymore. I remember talking about that though.
I believe that if you can find a floor shift colomn the only difference is the part that the colomn shifter would bolt too. the floor shift colomn still works the same ( the collar still rotates because the colomn shift linkage is standard for all gbodys). There is a rod that runs down to the trans in the engine compartment on the fire wall. You can remove it and the worst that will happen is you have to grab the sleeve on the colomn and twist it to lock the steering/ign. by hand. It will vibrate itself out of alignment 1 or twice every few months. Basicly the colomn shift colomnn will work the same but it will have the nob were the shifter bolted to it. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor