Swapping interiors between G-bodies

Status
Not open for further replies.

am73grand

n00b
Apr 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Ok this is my first post here.

I own a 1987 Grand Prix Brougham. It's got the 305 v-8 in it, Black with a grey interior. This car is pretty loaded up with options but what I really want are bucket seats and t-tops.

I just found a Monte Carlo SS for sale near me. The guy wants 2500 but it's all rusted out the exhaust is falling off but the interior is mint ans it does have t-tops.

If I buy this car can I swap the COMPLETE Chevy interior into my Pontiac, I'm talking seats, dash door panels eveything?

I'm gonna wait and see if he drops his price because I think he's a bit high based on the condition.

Thanks!

daffy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 24, 2008
Houston,Tx
Ive seen late model Lincoln seats front and back, dash with steering columns and engine swap in a 40s ford. so if its g-body to g-body it shouldnt be that much of a problem.

alkey3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2009
Rolla, MO
am73grand said:

I own a 1987 Grand Prix Brougham. It's got the 305 v-8 in it, Black with a grey interior. This car is pretty loaded up with options but what I really want are bucket seats and t-tops.

I just found a Monte Carlo SS for sale near me. The guy wants 2500 but it's all rusted out the exhaust is falling off but the interior is mint ans it does have t-tops.

If I buy this car can I swap the COMPLETE Chevy interior into my Pontiac, I'm talking seats, dash door panels eveything?

I'm gonna wait and see if he drops his price because I think he's a bit high based on the condition.

Thanks!

It should interchange but maybe not some of the plastics. I wouldnt pay that. Id wait something will come up.

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
alkey3 said:
am73grand said:

Thanks!

It should interchange but maybe not some of the plastics. I wouldnt pay that. Id wait something will come up.

$2,500 is way too high. My 82 regal has no rot at all, just a little surface rust. I paid $2,200 for it. Most likely his has a rotted frame too.

Wait for something better.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
the seats, carpet ( with a little tweaking ), and the center console will fit with a little adjustment to hook up the shifter. The Steering Coloumn will fit but the plug may not. The Door Panels and dash will fit but it's not going to bolt up exactly. There will be some time spent fabricating, moving some wires and HVAC around to make it work.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Most of the parts will fit, but you can find the parts by themselves for much cheaper than $2500. You really only need a console, shifter, and the bucket seats from it, and the rear seat from a 2 door standard seat Cutlass. With the money you save, you can have it all redone by a local upholstery shop and add a new carpet kit.

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL
I've done a couple interior swaps myself but it was from one Cutlass to another, including dash.

As long as you have the donor car sitting there for all the small parts it shouldn't be too bad. It's when you get the parts and then find out you don't have everything and have to start chasing all the little bits and pieces. I don't know if the heater vents behind the dash are the same but again, as long as you have the donor car, it should be okay.

One part that probably won't fit is the panel that surrounds the 1/4 window due to differant shape. Your existing piece should blend in with a quick re-paint of the color of the differant interior.

am73grand

n00b
Apr 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Thanks for all the info guys.

My plan was to try and pick this car up for around $1000, Then use the interior, Graft the t-tops into my car, swap in the steering box, sway bars and springs and then sell the wheels, header panel and rear wing and such.

The rest would get scrapped.

Again thanks for all the help! I'll let you know if I end up with it.......

86Cutlass383SR

G-Body Guru
Apr 1, 2009
Sesser, IL

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
The only major difference between Malibu/El Camino and Monte Carlo is behind the front doors, everything forward from there is basically the same... door panel styles are slightly different, dash panels vary slightly (i.e. the later Monte panels), and the pattern on the seats may be different. The consoles and dash pads are the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor