swapping out 307 in 86 salon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
Hey GB's i wanted to know what would be my best option on a swap noticed my 307 started knocking so going to change the motor but need something that will bolt directly to trans with minimal to no problems let me know your thoughts on this....

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
Olds 350 is direct swap, just need to make sure you got BOP bellhousing .

Intragration

Master Mechanic
Feb 4, 2012
Chicago
MrLightning said:
just need to make sure you got BOP bellhousing .

Which you already have if you have an Olds 307.

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
No. Put an Olds motor in it.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Black Rose said:
what about a chevy 350 will it have the same bellhousing as the olds?
If you transmission has the multi-bolt case, like mine did, it will work.

Black Rose

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 23, 2013
alright i for got to mention i may have a th400 transmission going in with 350 chevy really trying to find a 350 rocket but if not what do i need to do to link everything up with the chevy? i know the drive shaft may be a bit long so got to cut but am i missing anything else?

88hurstolds

Royal Smart Person
Jun 24, 2008
You are going to have a bunch of extra work going with a Chevy...
Frame mounts, exhaust, battery relocation, starter wire lengthening, fan shroud to name a few.
Not to mention the lameness of stuffing a cookie cutter catalog bought Chevy with a Chinese chrome dress up kit into an Olds, heresy!
p.s. don't forget to get some cool Edlebrock valve covers to go with it :lol:

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
For a straight simple swap, your going to use a Olds motor. Any 307, 350, or 403 will be a direct bolt in. the only things you CAN'T use off the 307 is the intake manifold and exhaust manifolds due to the '86's ports are to small to let the larger engines flow right. They will bolt up though. I did hear of one guy porting the intake and exhaust to flow but, that's a lot of porting easier to get a pre '85 "A4" intake and exhaust from any early 307. You can just use the iron intake from the larger engine until you find a aluminum one. The exhaust from the bigger motor will work but it will not have a place to put the O2 sensor.
Putting in a Chevy would mean getting G body motor and frame mounts, switching starters, changing the wire harness and changing the exhaust Y pipe.
T

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Try looking on http://www.car-part.com/index.htm if your having trouble finding a Olds motor.
I forgot to mention you will need accessory brackets for the chevy. You basically cant use anything from the Olds motor with a 350 chevy TH400 combo. You'll be starting from scratch.
T

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor