Swapping The 307

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 17, 2007
I want to get rid of my knocking 307 and drop in a chevy 350. I have the universal belhousing 200-4r. What all does this entail? I know a lot of you will hate the idea, but i cannot find an olds motor within 100 miles of my location. So i just want to pick up a cheap chevy 350 and deal with it!

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It involves all of the parts in the 3.8 to sbc swap stickie in the engine forum.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
jay-rod2489 said:
I want to get rid of my knocking 307 and drop in a chevy 350. I have the universal belhousing 200-4r. What all does this entail? I know a lot of you will hate the idea, but i cannot find an olds motor within 100 miles of my location. So i just want to pick up a cheap chevy 350 and deal with it!

Sellout!!! whatever floats your boat...on OP we told u it will be much easier to drop in a 350/403 Olds... a chevy will require you to change the frame pads....and exhaust....and just about everything else... its up to you....

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
Where are you at? I have a running 350 olds I'll sell...

It's in Ohio...

KrisW

G-Body Guru
Oct 24, 2007
Lakeland, FL
You will have a fairly easy time with that 455.

Make sure you use all of your 307 pulleys and accessories, you will only need longer belts because the 455 has a wider/taller block. You may need to use a 307 water pump, depending on the length of yours, to make the pulleys line up.

Your old 307 motor mounts will work great. If you're on a budget, use a Buick V6 torque converter for your transmission. For a 455 it produces between 1800 and 2000 rpm stall. Sort of a budget "Saturday Night Special!"

Good luck with your swap and let us know how it turns out!

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
The biggest problem will be the accessory brackets. In the 1960s and 70s, Olds brackets were designed to fit both the small block and big block. The 307 brackets are unfortunately only designed to fit the small block. You can modify them to fit the taller deck 455, but this will require some welding. The water pump, pulleys, and brackets must be used as a matched set. The water pumps come in three different lengths with the longest ones being used on A/C and HD cooling cars. Finally, use the 307 motor and frame mounts with the 455.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor