Switching to floor shift????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Do I need to get a floor shift steering columb to swap in a cable floor shifter?

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
Not necessarily...you can pull the column shift lever off but you'd still have the "nub" there. I've heard of people cutting them off and finishing it off.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not really if you grind off & fill in the shifter mount on the column. I did that to one years back When I needed one.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Quick answer: NO.

Just remove the shifter handle from the column so it doesn't look silly. Almost all aftermarket floor shifters come with a neutral safety switch which can be wired into the factory harness.

I went a step further by removing the guts in the upper column, chopped the nub off, then smoothed and painted it so it appears to be a floor shift column.
It's also a good idea while the turn signal cam, etc is out to remove the torx head bolts(4 of them), clean them, put some blue threadlocker on em and reinstall. They get loose over time and will cause the uppr column to be sloppy which can ultimately cause disaster.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
You do need to lock the column in place or you need manually move into park to remove the key.

• Agree

O. D. Showtime

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 6, 2009
Regina Sask. Canada
O.D. Showtime was faster on the trigger.

Ha, yep! I spent too much time on the details and arrived late to the show lol!

I've been practicing my quick draw...lol....besides that the Shark's are beating the Canuck's in the hockey game...so spending more time tonight on the computer than watching TV

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I have locked the column in park out in the engine compartment by bending the linkage arm against the firewall and using a lag bolt to retain it.

• Agree
  • Informative
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor