Tachometer filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cwc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
Im needing a tachomter filter/wiring for my 78 malibu. My question is are they all the same from 78-88? Next question is does anyone have a real nice original or nos one for sale?

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan

Cwc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
Mike sold me a very nice original tach which i just put in and matches my other instruments great.he didnt have an original harness ,which is what im wanting.

Cwc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
yeah, i know.im my own worst enemy when it comes to certain thigs,well most everything i guess🤔. Im fortunate to work on very high end muscle cars,copo camaros,ls6 chevelles,shelby mustangs,hemi cars,where things have to be dead nuts correct.i tend to carry that onto my own vehicles.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
yeah, i know.im my own worst enemy when it comes to certain thigs,well most everything i guess🤔. Im fortunate to work on very high end muscle cars,copo camaros,ls6 chevelles,shelby mustangs,hemi cars,where things have to be dead nuts correct.i tend to carry that onto my own vehicles.
Guys he has a 19,000 mile original 4 speed car. I can related to him wanting nice original parts.

I can definitely relate to keeping stock.. it is very important for some, especially in situations where you're talking low production numbers, rare optioned vehicles, and/or a vehicle that is in high demand. I had my hands on a 1968 GTO that had all the options of a Judge, except it wasn't a Judge because Judges started in 1969.

If you happen to be lucky enough to come into a Hemi SuperBird, ZL-1 Camaro, GTX R023, Hemi Cuda, LS6 Chevelle, GTO Judge, or the like.... yeah, you should be taken out back and beat to within an inch of your life if you don't stick to stock...

Even with the Semi or Mildly Rare vehicles -- Say, Under 15k produced, specifically optioned, and 30+ years old (he and I both fall into that category, as do plenty of other vehicles here (Hurst Olds, W-30's, GN's, etc.)) you "Probably Should" or at the very least, keep the Ability to... but its not the "Flogging" you should receive with Ultra Rares like above.. especially for something like a Tach Filter that A) a tach wasn't stock to begin with, and B) its just a damn filter no one will notice anyway.

But, each to their own! I replaced the steering wheel in my '86 LE with Every option available except T-Tops. Did I keep the steering wheel? You bet your *ss I did. If I take out the stock 305/200-R4/7.5 10 Bolt Open and replace it with a LQ9 6.0, 4L80E, and a 9" Rear, would I keep the stock drive train? You bet your *ss I would.

Look, I don't want to start any sh*t here.. I applaud anyone keeping a vehicle stock, even if its a 72 Pinto... but a Tach Filter, I akin to installing a Noise Filter because the Stereo isn't stock.. which is why I posted the link. Wasn't meant to be mean, or tell him what to do with his car.

-Gonz

Cwc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
No offenence taken whatsoever,if we all liked the exact same things this would be a boring old world.True my car didnt come with a factory tachometer,thats even more reason to make it look like it did.The only things i can find under my hood that isnt original are the heater hoses and battery.The radiator hoses,clamps,spark plug wires,even the fan and p/s belts are originals.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I found one on Ebay and when I got the gauge dash it was an added wire. I know a lot of guys do not use it but it was put there for a reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor