Takin out the "fast" car

Status
Not open for further replies.

loneSTRregal

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2009
Highlands , TX
So after a long day of hittin the books at school i was walkin out to the regal to head to work , when i nothice these two checkin my ride out . I kinda start to freak thinkin they may try to steal ( good luck cuz its gotta a kill switch ) , i was just worried about them messing it up . Anyway I walk up and ask them what they are doing , well one starts asking me about my car and then tells me hes got a sick 300zx and wants to race me . We head onto decker/330 and we run it , I toy with him and let him get a little ahead and then floor it and catch him O so fast and the whole time I had another bites the dust by queen on the stereo . O yeah it was a good day .hahahaha

watch out for the baytown cops and the camaras on decker

O yea they will bust you every time , ive been lucky so far

Cool I always like to read kill stories. So whats the scoop on the Regal? Engine trans gears. Ever take her to the track to see where she is at?

my regal started life as a 1978 T-type regal , the turbo six blew and i bought it at as roller only .
heres the specs .

ENGINE: 1975 chevy 350 bored .30 over . ported and polished double hump heads . holley 850 dp . weiand team G intake .
comp magnum hydralic camshaft . forged pistons , rods and crank

TRANS: TH400 with shift kit and tci break away torque converter .

Gears : just a 10 bolt rear with mini spooled 4.10 gears .

no a/c or heat or power steering no back seat and 175 shot of nitrous .

motor 13.3 nos 12.99

really ? the th 350 will make a big difference ? what makes it better than the trusty 400 ?

loneSTRregal said:
really ? the th 350 will make a big difference ? what makes it better than the trusty 400 ?

400s were designed for trucks and the gear ratios in them is not ideal for a car.

Thanks for the reply. You are likely only going to gain a lil more than 1/10 et and one mph from a th400 to th350 swap. Seems like a fair amount of work / expense for that. Gas mileage improvement would be very minor as well. Starting from scratch with both transmissions I might pick the th350 for a small block but to switch for that gain I wouldn't bother. Switching to a well built 200-4r might be worth it as you would get slightly better gearing and more efficiency/less power loss than even the th350 and would also save your motor on the highway and get a 1/3 more mpg. My Cutlass got 17.0 mpg on a road trip where I believe with the gears and stuff that I had I would have been looking at 12 mpg with a th400. More important to me though was the rpm drop as big motors or rather large bearing journal engines don't like to be spun hard for a long period of time. You can't be the th400 for strength though.

I would look at whats going on with that 175shot. You should gain more than 3 or 4 tenths. Did the mph jump dramatically? Are you spinning hard? Do you have some drag radials? Back in the day when my GN was still all original with just the boost & fuel turned up I was running 13.4s on regular radials and went to 12.7s with only a change to drag radials.

so swapping the 400 for the 350 seems kinda not worth it for the amount work involved .
the i like the the mileage improvement of the 200 r4 , would the 700 r4 be a good swap ive heard it is .

the problem with the nitrous is i dont have drag radials and the tires i have now wont hold , so i need to save for some M/t s

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor