Tell me why I shouldn't do this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
It's hot, and I live in Florida and deliver pizza full time. In the summer, the average high temperature is around 93 degrees with 90% humidity and a heat index of 110. The problem is, my truck has an issue with it's ECU where it turns the A/C compressor off the moment the engine starts and on the moment the key is turned to the off position. I have traced it back to the ECU using a factory service manual and all roads point to the computer. Until now, my solution has been to run it off a relay that shuts off when the engine is off, and has a binary switch that interrupts the circuit should the pressure be too high or low. Sadly though, this let the compressor run constant and while I tried to make it last longer by lowering the amount of refrigerant, the compressor clutch is now just about fried. I can't afford to fix it the right way either as I just drained my bank account to fix the critical problems with the truck and fix the roof on my house. Plus, I am going into the slow season and won't be making much money for the next 3-4 months. It also has 344,600 miles on it, and I don't know how much longer it will last ( could be 200k or 200 miles). So, my solution then is to ride out the summer by running a set screw through the front plate of the compressor clutch to lock it to the pulley. This way I can undo it when it cools down outside and I won't be making a permanent change to the truck. So, is this a bad idea?

I'm thinkin disconnect and buddy up with someone at the part store to find a belt that will work bypassing the ac. Unless this routes the bellt to interfere with something.

I might be a bit off in my thinking(and it may not amount to much), but my thoughts are:

if you drill and install a screw to lock them together, this may throw the balance off, and start eating the bearings, and could lock up completely when you may be needing it most-causing a whole new can of worms... like I said, the balance may not be affected enough to cause any problems, but it's food for thought...

Darin

I wouldn't do that to the compressor. Why can't you just hot-wire the compressor to go on/off when you want it to? The low side plug on the accumulator goes right to the compressor, does it not? Or bypass all that and actuate it right at the clutch? I had a similar issue with a 95' LeSabre, which would keep the AC cooling fans on forever unless you disconnected the battery, clearing the brain fart in the ECU. I eventually just wired in a cut off switch which did the same thing. Why? Who knows.

Bonnewagon - it is because the clutch is going bad, so there is nothing that can be switched on or off electrically. He's just trying to lock the unit together as one piece.

My biggest concern with this would be the constant strain on the compressor. No way to disengage, etc. You could freeze up the the evaporator, or worse, if it heats enough to start burning up the pistons, etc, you're going to be looking at a whole new compressor, and having to flush the entire system and recharge. Similar to this, I had a compressor burn up in my 84 Cutlass years ago, put a new compressor in it, had the dealer charge it up and had to go back 4 times for a flush and orifice tube replacement and recharge. Cost me over $1000 then. This is just food thought for the future.

On a separate note, if you need the rubber hoses or a receiver drier for the 85, I have a good set you can have. Just pay for the ride. I replaced mine although it didn't need it at all.

Good luck!

OK, yeah I reread that. OOPS. I still wouldn't pin the compressor though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor