Testing NEW EGR Valve

Rory

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 23, 2021
I have to get the EGR system working on my 1979 231 V6 to pass state emission testing. I just purchased a new EGR valve from NAPA. On the car was a NAPA EGR valve installed years ago but the vacuum to it was never hooked up since the TVS was faulty. The brand new EGR valve fails a test by a hand held vacuum pump and so does the previous valve that was just removed and never hooked up to vacuum. Each EGR valve leaks down immediately and I can hear the vaccum leaking out. I read in a different post here that some are supposed to leak when good. How can I tell if that is the case with these ?
13 (Medium).jpg

Sounds like you may be dealing with a positive backpressure egr valve. This type of egr valve requires exhasut backpressure to close. You can't just test them with a Mityvac like most other types of egr valves.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor