MALIBU TH 400 noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
Considering I saw a picture of a member getting ready to install an engine with the converter already bolted to the flexplate without the trans I have to ask are you sure the converter was seated all of the way on the pump?
First car I ever built. 79 Cutlass 400 Pontiac TH 400. I did that very thing. Used to bolts to pull it together. Took both lugs off the pump. I learned everything the hard way. Sooo...

I agree, it sounds like the pump on the trans. This may be waaaaay into left field and obvious but are you getting RFI interference thru the radio? Don't scoff, it's happens. Easier to fix than a pump too so...

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
This may be waaaaay into left field and obvious but are you getting RFI interference thru the radio?
IMO if someone can't pinpoint the noise of RFI or a blower motor then maybe they are in the wrong hobby.

pontiac guy

G-Body Guru
Oct 28, 2016
Royse City, TX
IMO if someone can't pinpoint the noise of RFI or a blower motor then maybe they are in the wrong hobby.

I assume every learns the hard way like me, and doesn't have a lot of experience. Another example (not to hijack), same car 2 months after I replace the pump in the trans. I get in the car to go out and do what 18 year olds do when their mommy isn't looking. I start it up, and it's out of the blue knocking. Motor is barely broke in. My spirits are completely broken. I call my friend tell him what's up and go into my room to cry like a sissy who just got slapped. My friend zooms over climbs under the car in the street and find that all the effing converter bolts had come loose. Damn thing is flopping around. My dumb *ss doesn't know any better and assumed it's a rod knock. I never trusted the locking feature on those bolts again. Loctite every stinking time. Again I learned the hard way.

Most people learn from You tube these days. There is almost no good info out there. You should hear some of the things I get asked by the kids at work. They saw it on YouTube so it's gotta be true. So basically I'd rather look stupid and offer up radio noise than have a new guy get his hopes crushed right away. But I agree, I would hope that things like radio noise were already discarded

Reactions: 1 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
My friend zooms over climbs under the car in the street and find that all the effing converter bolts had come loose. Damn thing is flopping around. My dumb *ss doesn't know any better and assumed it's a rod knock
I bought a car for $75 years ago with that issue, it had a recent trans install and eventually developed what they thought was a rod knock, the new torque converter bolts where too long and bottomed out, I did sound a lot like a rod knock but to me it was more external so I bought it.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
The noise is definitely not radio or blower motor. One person that heard it asked if the car had a gear drive. I’m taking it to the transmission shop that rebuilt the TH400 in on Tuesday.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
The noise is definitely not radio or blower motor. One person that heard it asked if the car had a gear drive. I’m taking it to the transmission shop that rebuilt the TH400 in on Tuesday.
So does it sound like it is coming from the timing cover area?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
He built the motor he should know if it has a gear drive or not I hope
Assuming he has a chain I was thinking a possible alignment issue causing a gear noise sound.

Ratchet

Master Mechanic
Jan 10, 2018
It has a tradition timing chain with a Holley (cast aluminum) timing cover. The noise sounds like it’s coming from the back of the engine. However, I’m not going to rule out the the timing cover just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor