Th200c sticking converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Going from the one transmission that I have had apart, the piece on the left is the external cover and the piece on the right goes inside further inside the trans. The torque converter would be even farther left if it was pictured. I am going to take a guess and say once the cover bolts are removed, that both pieces would pull out together if you pulled straight out on the input shaft.

GM_Guy-Magnet

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
BC Canada
Hi All- Sorry for the delay in the updates. Fact is I still haven't got to the C200 TCC Solenoid swap yet as I needed to collect tools and parts still. Still getting myself prepped.

But to confirm for others, reason I have this as suspect is that the Torque Converter shifts too quick after it has been used only once during that drive (with trans oil hot). Car shifts totally fine though.

For real world example -
  • I take the car out and do some city driving. Gears all shift as they should.
  • I come up to a stop, car does not stall. Start off again and 1st, to second, then third, all strong shifts.
  • Slow up, goes back to second, back to first and so on.
  • Drive up hills, gears are held longer as to be expected. Downhill - they come quicker
  • Give heavy throttle, gears hold as they should (which in my mind eliminates the TV cable as a problem).
  • Then, take the car out on the highway. Get it up to about 50Mph (or 80KM/hr) and the TC will lock in as expected (like an overdrive). The TC will hold gear, work as expected and I could drive it anywhere.
  • BUT!!! as soon as I come off the highway, come to a stop, (or worse have to go back to what would be 3rd gear 35MPH (50KM or 60KM) driving, the TC stays engaged
  • If I come to a stop the car still does not stall, I can even hear the second and 1st gears engage as I slow up to a red light, and car idles great
  • Start of again, 1st, then 2nd come as pretty much expected, BUT once at about 25Mph (40km) when Second gear is getting to about its mid range, I get sudden shift to 3rd
  • And if that were not bad enough, As soon as 3rd is found, the TC locks up almost at the same time. (basically - trans goes for over drive when not needed)
  • If I manually select 2nd gear at this time it will hold that gear. And so I could (theoretically) manual shift from 2nd to "D" once the car would work OK - But that's not ideal and could cause wear on a good gear box.

And so looking at the manual I posted a while back on the tear down off the 200C, I see my issue listed on Page 17 as "Converter clutch applies immediately after 2nd to 3rd shift regardless of vehicle speed.". And this sounds exactly what I have. The manual only provides the 1 cause for this. The Solenoid. Its either the ground cable on it is pinched or it is mechanically compromised (buggered LOL) and can't exhaust oil.

And now not to be outdone, I did try and find ANY external ground connectors that might have become corroded as it may not have been the ground in the trans but perhaps a ground outside it. I did find 2large bolts that attach grounds into the block on the drivers side. They are at the rear below the valve covers, and not too far from the bell housing so I did try cleaning both of them at all both ends and reattaching. It made no difference.

Also to be noted - I do not have any Speed sensors (its a cable) and just the one green power wire going to transmission.
The model type of my trans is an "HHB" version of the 200C and this is in a 1986 Cutlass Supreme sedan with a 231, and is RWD.

So, as I get preped - I now have a trans jack, I have the pan gasket and filter, The new Solenoid. As Wageslave mentioned, the manual does show the TCC Solenoid is on the back of the F%$%in oil pump and it seems I may need a puller to get that out. (see page 55 of the manual which points it out. I am hoping the gaskets at the rear of the pump salvageable as I don't want to buy a $300 rebuild kit just to get them :(

And I am also lucky - I have a good second 200C in an 83 Olds Cutty sedan, (same drive train), that I can drop and transfer if I end up needing to get the first one rebuilt.

And so last thing I need is the blasted TIME to make all this happen. I will certainly post pictures of the process. And I highly recommend those having 200C problems to go get that manual in my previous post. There are all sorts of troubleshooting items in there for other problems than mine.

Cheers!

Reactions: 1 user

TexasT

Master Mechanic
Mar 20, 2008
Texas
Drop the pan, and you will see the solenoid. Two 10mm bolts hold it from the factory I believe, and it is generally wired through the third gear switch in the vb. Definitely an easy to swap item. No need to pull the pump or vb.

GM_Guy-Magnet

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 27, 2017
BC Canada
Thanks Texas T. I REALLY REALLY hope you are right!

But research is showing me it might not be so simple. The 200R4 and others (found in many G body coupes ) are actually 4 speeds - not 3 speed + TC lockup like the 200C. And you are correct, lots of videos show that underpan placement for the 4 speeds and other models right where you say it is. The manual I linked to for the 200C says the TCC is on the oil pump. :( The part I ordered (which seems to be good for several trans models) also shows it being attached to the pump.

But yes - to drain the trans, (which is my plan before dropping) on the 200C, you have to remove the pan anyway with the unit still in the car. Its kinda step one. And if indeed my research is wrong, and that TCC is right there, well no one will be happier than me :)

Capture.JPG

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
My cousin gave me a Citation station wagon years and years and years ago. He said it would stall when coming to a light and then he'd have to wait a sec and restart. Then the car would drive normal until another light. He didn't want to spend the money on the trans work, so he gave it to me. I unplugged the TCC connector on the side of the trans and drove it for two years trouble free. (Just no lock up converter anymore)

Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor