TH350 Automatic Hard/Jerk Shifting in First, Second Gear almost non Existent.

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Got a problem that just propped up recently. I am experiencing a very Hard Jerk/Shift into First Gear, Second Gear almost non-existent. Recently I had just changed out the Transmission Filter using a gasket set, I over filled the Transmission when all this started and since I was under there I went ahead and replaced every thing in there and gave it 4 Quarts of Dextron III Transmission fluid. Maybe a Rebuild will have to be done? Hard Shifting seems to be only in First and Second if Second will shift.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Is the vacuum modulator hooked up and funtioning properly? I had one fail after overfilling transmission and ended up sucking atf in to the intake while driving and not shifting correctly.

Reactions: 1 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Is the vacuum modulator hooked up and funtioning properly? I had one fail after overfilling transmission and ended up sucking atf in to the intake while driving and not shifting correctly.
I'll check it out tomorrow, unfortunately dealing with a nasty flu at the same time. . . I've seen similar responses with the Modulator on google, that may be the problem. . Thanks

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
I had the same issue, thought it had a shift kit in it. I actually modified the governor to raise the shift points. Hard shifts went away and the shift points did increase.

Reactions: 1 user

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Good luck. Vitamin C!
Thanks, Struggled with the Flu but replaced the Modulator, Shifts alot smoother now. Yep Sure enough it was loose alright. The Rubber Hose connected to the End of the Modulator was not just loose but also looks too big to fit on the End of the old one (pictured) . . . Just wow! Anyway I now know how to replace that part if needed. Many Thanks and enjoy the pictures. You'll see what I am talking about.

IMG_20230925_113653020_HDR[1].jpg
Old Modulator with Large Sized Hose.

IMG_20230925_113711367[1].jpg
Replaced Modulator.

Reactions: 4 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Most of them are adjustable. There is a small torx or flathead screw inside the vacuum port and you can adjust the shift points by 100-200 rpm or so.

Reactions: 4 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
Most of them are adjustable. There is a small torx or flathead screw inside the vacuum port and you can adjust the shift points by 100-200 rpm or so.
Yep this one I bought is an adjustable, I saw a Youtube video one the installation of one of these, it was recommended 2 full turns, so I did just that. Gear Shifts are on point where they once where.

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Yep this one I bought is an adjustable, I saw a Youtube video one the installation of one of these, it was recommended 2 full turns, so I did just that. Gear Shifts are on point where they once where.
That's great. It's a very gratifying repair.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Older post... Just seen this.

Good you got the adjustable modulator.

Future reference on the two to get..

One Red stripe is basic street car or still emission controlled. It will handle a little big bigger cam, but too big. It is an adjustable unit.

One Red with One Black stripe is for bigger cams, that have base idle vacuum around 16 in/hg or less. These are the "Low Vacuum" units and they are adjustable.

When you change to a Lumpity, Lumpity cam, make sure to change to the Red&Black stripe unit, or it will not shift right.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor