TH350 shift points.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, here's a question for all you TH350 guys.

Well first, if you don't know. I have an '80 Malibu with factory 305/350 combo. It's all original except dual exhaust and 3.73:1 gears. And it's got less that 50,000 original miles on it.

Now, I didn't notice it before I changed the gears. But now when I take off under light to half throttle it shifts funny. It shifts out of second so fast that it almost skips the gear, but not quite. At first I thought it was the transmission slipping. But after paying closer attention, I noticed it was just shifting from 2md to 3rd really fast. It almost feels like its got a powerglide in it lol.

SO, anyone else have 3.73s and a stock untouched TH350? And if so, does it shift like mine?

Or does anyone know what could be causing this?

It's OK under full throttle, shifts around 4000 RPMs in each gear.

I was planning on getting a shift kit installed this summer. But don't want to bother if the transmission is possibly on its way out.

Any suggestions?

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
what it might be is that with the new gears, the governor (which controls line pressure and therefore shift points) is spinning at a completely different speed than before. this makes it think you're going faster than you are and shifts at the incorrect time. also, i'd expect that your speedo is off.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
if you dont have one, you should get an adjustable vacum modulator. It will let you adjust the part throtle shift points.

The govener more controls the full throtle upshifts.

How does it shift when you are bearly giving it gas? (only as much as needed to get it going to speed)

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK, first off. My speedo is right. i had it re,calibrated at a transmission shop.

And. When I'm barely on it, shifting is fine. It's also good when I'm at WOT. My problem is at part to mid throttle.

I was thinking about getting one of those adjustable vacum modulators when I get the shift kit installed.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
an adjustable modulator should take care of your problem.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK cool. Now a silly question. How hard are they to install? I've heard of and seen them, just never installed one.

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
disconect line, take off one bolt, slide out old, slide in new, tighten bolt, reconnect line, adjust.
Thats about it.

if you want, you can go to most any autoparts store and buy it.
It came in some cars, stock.2
Fram part # FM2310
the fram part comes with directions too, if you need them.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
OK cool. I'm gonna be borrowing a buddies garage for a night or two pretty soon to install some 6x9s and change my battery (I live in Canada, so it's cold lol). So I'll put one of those in too.

So with the adjuster. Is somewhere around half way a good starting point?

TBRtat2

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2008
it comes already set to stock.

After that, just follow the directions in the box.

Also, check your vacuum line that runs it, make sure its not leaking, or cloged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor