th400 swap

Status
Not open for further replies.

my85gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2007
London
Ok so the 403 Im buying came with transmission. At first i hoped it would be 350 for an easy swap (from 200), But now im thinking its a 400. The motor and transmission were in the car still and i couldnt get under the car to see the pan/count the bolts. They are in a '79 Olds 98 so 400 seems more likely. Anyway what am I in for with a 200 to 400 swap as far as driveshaft issues? Could still be a th350 but that would be to easy

Make sure it's a short tail TH400.
You will need to get it shortened a little bit and will also need the appropriate slip yoke.
Crossmember for a 200-4R car will work.

I know for sure you will have to get a shorter drive shaft and the current cross member will not work. I wish i had a 400 to have to worry about this problem with. Biggest piece of advice I can give is to ask 85 cutlass brougham. That dude knows his sh*t about g bodies. He could proably tell you everything you need to know right down to how many washers and what size what size washers you need for the 3rd bolt from the right on the pan. Lol. Anyway, hit him up. He'll get back to ya. 403 are good engines, except the whole windowed mains thing..... But still good motors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor