the baby diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn't mean to come across with a negative attitude regarding G baodies, just wanted to be realistic. Putting a new $10k diesel in to an old G body you buy for $1000 isn't going to make it an $11k car. Sure, I guess anything would be "fun" if you have an endless amount of money to throw at a project, but the truth is most of us don't, and at least to me it would be a lot more fun to take an old 350 with my kids, tear it down and rebuild it, and put it in to that $1000 car and have something that would be a lot of fun to build, more educational, cost a LOT less money, and may actually increase the value of the car a few hundred bucks, nonetheless have a great chance at being 100% driveable. I'm not saying different and unique things can't be done such as using a diesel, just asking how smart of a thing would they be to do? If YOUR kid went out and bought a G body for $1000 and asked you for $10k to put a new diesel in it so he can try to blow away that Vette at the strip, I'm pretty sure not too many of us would be handing them the cash 😀

I think it may get done eventually when they show up cheap in the used market. However, as of now the costs outweigh the benefits. If I wanted to spend $20-30k on a car, I would just go buy a BMW instead and get a better chassis too.

the link is somewhere around here or pro-touring.com of a guy who put a duramax into his GN.
the reason car and truck diesel engines don't have cylinder liners is because there's no reason for them. by the time the liners needed replacement, so would everything else. it's not cost effective when you see 15-30,000 miles a year. now in a tractor-trailer, they drive so many miles that it makes sense.

BTW, the classic good Mercedes Benz diesels from the 70's and 80's ( W123, W124, etc. chassis 240D, 300D, 300SD, 300SDL) all had replaceable liner engines in them. That's part of the reason they are million-mile cars if somewhat maintained. It was when they switched to one piece construction that they started having issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor