THE DOWNFORCE G WING

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stg1Regal

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2008
OK ..... Im on vacation, ain't going nowhere, it was a nice day today , got bored and tried to create something that I had a idea on during the winter.

On my Buick Regal...... I call it "THE DOWNFORCE G WING".... No not something new just my version on what's been done before except it's on G Body. Kinda going for the NASCAR,RoadRacer,Streetfighter,SCCA look.

It's in its mock up stage.........

1986160128_large.jpg

1986160129_large.jpg

I'm looking for inputs, opinions or thoughts, from ones you made these before, like the "Street Fighter Spoiler" over on the Pro-Touring.com board, and ones similar to that.

Like will one line of holes in the top of the trunk lid hold it or will two line be needed?

The gasket or sealant or pad used between the wing a spoiler to protect the finish and to keep the weather out, what was used.

A local shop owner has agreed to help me bring this to reality, buy donating his shop and equipment and his time and he works with aluminum, so the thats a plus.

After a few hours of scketching out designs, we came up with few, we both liked, but this design, I like the most.

It would be made of either .09" or 1/8" Aluminum, and hinged with a 2" piano hinge, most of all the brackets will be made at the shop using scrap, so this is a kinda freebie to me, just gotta pay for the bigger pieces used.

6" in Height, maybe a bit higher after hinge is added, with 37 degree laydown.

Well let me know what ya think.....

Next I be trying a mock up of a front spoiler with a splitter....

papabearxl

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2008
Parrottsville, TN
I like it. It is a little too tall for my taste, but it isn't my car.

I have pondered the same thing like Projecct Talladega in PHR.

I also thought about a MC SS spoiler for my Salon.

Haven't decided yet. I work in a fab shop, so my options, mat'l, machinery and tools is endless, but I haven't fab'd anything as of yet.

Keep going. I'd like to see your progress.

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
If you're doing it with a piano hinge, why not mock it up with the hinge to the vertical surface of the trunk lid? You may have to split the hinge into two sections, but it will be a cleaner looking install on the horizontal surface. Considering the negligible effect of a few degrees of adjustment under 100 mph or so, I'd do a fixed angle spoiler and fit it real nice to the deck lid so it looked factory. Of course that's just my preference. You might well prefer the "hardware" look so do what looks best to you.

Bill

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
FE3x Clone has pics on his pro tour build up thread where he fabricobbled a MCSS spoiler onto his Cutlass. Looks good you should check it out.

rebelgtp

Master Mechanic
Mar 5, 2009
La Grande OR
I will be doing the same thing with my Olds actually. Here is write up I found from Popular Hot Rodding. My car was originally going to be a stock car before I got it so I decided to keep the stock car theme for the project.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/tech/0 ... index.html

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
i like it,i'd said go for it and keep us posted for sure.Just one question,can you make me one? 8)

Reactions: 1 user

beermonkey9417

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
des plaines, il
i was trying to do something similer with my satty, but a 3 piece non adjust spoiler ala 70-80 camaros.

l_a14730ee45744120884b7f6ed9ae72f3.jpg

l_6cb837bcb110475ea7de7aa5e33929b0.jpg

l_28137b8efcd6466f8a9a9c42326fca3c.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2819.JPG
    IMG_2819.JPG
    129.4 KB · Views: 300
  • 3K53N43lc5Le5Ea5K1d320de76cf3da341cf9.jpg
    3K53N43lc5Le5Ea5K1d320de76cf3da341cf9.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 339

Stg1Regal

Greasemonkey
Aug 27, 2008
Thanks guys for your input!

papabearxl After eyeballing it for a while I will hafta agree it was too tall, so including the hinge it will be 5" tall off the deck lid.

billyjack .. It took some time but, "we" figured it out it was the "DUHHH" moment, and yes it will be straight across. I have also done a prototype of a fixed wing spoiler simalar to NASCAR's g-body style of the 80's, with the V-split and all, if I have enough materials left over Im going to build one too.

rebelgtp That article is on my favorites on my computer, inspired me to do mine,,, Good Luck on yours.

Dogshit Been following his (FE3X Clone) build thread over on Pro-Touring.com 's website, the guy is very inovative, and seen the wing. I do know of a another Buick Regal owner trying to retro fit one to his car.

Minion1186 If this one goes well and I get in the good graces of the guys shop I'm using, I wanted to try to design and get some made to fit various other G-bodies..... but that is a far off, got locate and get a collection of trunk lids, would make both the hinged and the fixed NASCAR styles.

beermonkey9417 Looks good keep up the good work, It took about 4 to 5 attemps at different designs before setteling on the ones i wanted then cleaned them up a bit.

I got all the stuff and prototypes over the shop today, of course it is a business and he got some last minute work , so I went to the back of the line, but did manage to get the big peices marked out and place lines on where the bends should be.

I'll keep you all posted

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
It looks cool, but for downforce at higher speeds, the only time it's really going to affect anything, you'd want a wing that lays flat and extends the trunk deck lid

...Like I said, it looks cool though, keep it up

HurstOlds

Master Mechanic
Sep 21, 2007
Illinois
Just an idea, but you might want to mount the two adjusters horizontally even with the outer ones. In the side view, you can see they're taped an inch lower than the outer adjusters. That was the first thought that came to my mind

In that link you posted, they have all of their adjusters lined up. I'm talking about the mounting points on the trunk lid side, not on the spoiler side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor