The "I'm Obsessive With Lawn Tractors" Thread

WanaBa442

G-Body Guru
Aug 5, 2017
New England
I don't see how they could be out of parts. Cub Cadet is almost like a G-body once you get past the badging and stylized body parts. A lot of parts are the same for many variants of the same mower. Chinesium must be having a hard time getting here through normal processes it seems. Now, if they strapped it across the back of illegal aliens coming across the southern border they could get it here much quicker. I will agree, though, I'm not going to buy another Cub. Quality was iffy 15 years ago.

We've had the Cub since 2007, and after figuring out the belt throwing issue due to crappy pulley alignment, plus a stripped steering shaft gear (sacrificial alignment washer wore out- cheap but super PITA to fix) it's been a very good mower overall. Changing a drive belt was a major PITA, but do-able. Like anything else, you have to do periodic maintenance on them. Although, I've about had it with the thing as many parts are starting to wear down more than I would like, and some of those parts have been obsoleted for a good while now. Might be its last season if I can milk it for that long. Probably go with the John Deere X350 next season. Got too much yard for an electric POS. Not sure yet.

I'm surprised I was able to fix my broken Cub the same day. I was driving along cutting the grass last week with my old crusty Cub, made a left turn and kept trying to go straight. WTF? Look down and one tire turned left but the other wasn't. Saw the tie rod hanging down. Broke a spherical tie rod end. The ball popped right out of the socket and it wasn't going back. Can't effectively lube them, all you can do is change them. Whip out the parts book for the mower, and they're p/n 723-0448 or 723-0448A (the prefix 723 changed to 923 later on). Luckily, the local Tractor Supply had some new ones in stock. They fit, they function, and I was steering the mower again within an hour and a half of the initial break.

View attachment 224984
You need to keep a pile of junk sleds in the back yard😃 My old 1650 did the same thing, robbed the end of an old El Tiger 440 and was back in business in 10 min.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Just wondering aloud here but I do happen to recall seeing spherical rod ends that were rebuildable. Circlips hold the guts in; when the nylon or delrin cups wear or the play gets sloppy, out comes the clip, out comes the guts, in goes the kit and another clip and back to business. They do exist for the off roaders, just not so big.

Nick

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
This thread has been idle for awhile. Tomorrow s project...

IMG_20231218_175002135.jpg

Convert these two from summer use to winter duty. I haven't done this for several years because our winters have been mild.

The mower decks need service and might as well put their winter attachments to some use if I can.

IMG_20231218_175752023.jpg

By the colors it's obvious what goes with what. I mostly want the corner of my garage cleared out. I'm going to re-arrange my garage some and other things will utilize that space.

Reactions: 3 users
Nov 4, 2012
This thread has been idle for awhile. Tomorrow s project...

View attachment 232529

Convert these two from summer use to winter duty. I haven't done this for several years because our winters have been mild.

The mower decks need service and might as well put their winter attachments to some use if I can.

View attachment 232530

By the colors it's obvious what goes with what. I mostly want the corner of my garage cleared out. I'm going to re-arrange my garage some and other things will utilize that space.
That Cub sure is sweet. I know the Wheelhorses have a sizeable following, I don't have any experience with them though.

Reactions: 1 user

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
That Cub sure is sweet. I know the Wheelhorses have a sizeable following, I don't have any experience with them though.

They are both hand-me-downs from my grand father. I have all the books and paperwork from him. Even the purchase receipt on the wheel horse when he bought it new in 1987.

I don't like the hydrostatic setup on the cub. The wheel horse gets used most.

Tomeal

G-Body Guru
Apr 17, 2016
Clyde,pa
So my son stopped over today to switch his truck back for his car. He is driving steady night shift, so I offered to get tires on his car since I'm off now and have the time. We got to BS'n and catching up so I didn't get done what I wanted to.

I hate taking the deck off of the cub anyways, so I'm going to drag the blade outside and maybe do it another day.

Man I forgot how much fun the snow blower is when it's on the wheel horse.

IMG_20231219_170917927.jpg

Granted it's barely enough snow for it to pick up, but it was fun going through the yard.

Reactions: 2 users

SoFloG

Royal Smart Person
Mar 9, 2016
South Florida
Unknown brand. Found it for sale in a gated community where the kid couldn't keep it. My son paid $35 for it as a kinda bday present for me. We swapped out the spindles that had been extended and were snapped. Made a new pvc instead of steel snorkel, mud flaps, rewired, etc. It was popping wheelies and was a fun little project that we ended selling to a guy for $150 who was shipping it to his farm in central America.

Attachments

• 20230216_170146.jpg
    20230216_170146.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 32
Reactions: 1 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Stumbled across this pile on FB marketplace and just couldn't say no. Why do I do this to myself? 61" Ferris zero turn with suspension. 25hp Kawasaki motor, which is blown up. Mowed and moved, until it didn't. LOL going to see if I can salvage the motor. Somehow the bore appears fine at first inspection. Literally no piston left in it, just the rod and wrist pin. Took the same head out as well. $450 for the whole unit. Hoping to get it fixed and running for a total of 1k including buying it.

20231109_060320.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Stumbled across this pile on FB marketplace and just couldn't say no. Why do I do this to myself? 61" Ferris zero turn with suspension. 25hp Kawasaki motor, which is blown up. Mowed and moved, until it didn't. LOL going to see if I can salvage the motor. Somehow the bore appears fine at first inspection. Literally no piston left in it, just the rod and wrist pin. Took the same head out as well. $450 for the whole unit. Hoping to get it fixed and running for a total of 1k including buying it.

View attachment 232603
Motorcycle motor it?😏

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor