The temperature gauge just kept climbing...383 in a Monte Carlo SS

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
gbodytoys.com
I didn't want to keep posting about this in the "what did you do to your G-Body..." thread...so...

Long story less long...

• Blueprint engines 383 Stroker w/ aluminum heads.
  • Alternator pulley wasn't straight
  • Twisted belt, which I ignored. Changed belts.
  • Drove to a car show in Warren, MI...coming home, smelled rubber, ignored it.
  • Got on the freeway, alternator wasn't charging, kept driving.
  • Temp started to creep up, temp shot up, lower radiator hose exploded. Temp gauge went past 300.
  • Got it home, changed the belt, changed the alternator (and pulley), changed hose. Car ran fine for a day in Telegraph Cruise. Stop and go traffic, freeway pulls, etc... no issues.
  • Next day, car started cutting off at the light, but started right up. Then the car stopped while in motion. Pulled over...wouldn't start again. Got it home, started in the driveway.
  • Checked compression. Low on the passenger side in the middle.
  • Pulled headers, front accessories, intake, etc...
  • Took the heads to work to see if they were warped (getting the last bolt on the passenger side head was horrible)...both are warped, didn't measure how bad.
  • Machine shop said $105 to mill both heads.
Pics below of the madness. How do I know if the block is bad too?

20240803_222601.jpg

20240807_183434.jpg

20240807_200642.jpg

20240811_171307.jpg

20240815_204501.jpg

20240816_073621.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Metal straitedge and feeler gauges

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users
I'm sorry but your car gave you multiple warning signs that something was wrong and you ignored them all, you are hereby revoked of your Gbody card until further notice.;)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
In all seriousness as a precautionary measure I would probably get the heads magnafluxed first before doing any kind of Milling

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor