thigten those bolts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappa_wolf

Apprentice
Apr 4, 2010
A buddy of mine, in sweden, bought a malibu wagon, a few months back, and startet fixing rust in the frontclip.
he completly dismantled the front, and had it redone.
a week ago, I called him, just to hear how it was going, and if he would get here, for july the 4`th.
he started cursing on the phone, and it took me about five minutes, to get him calmed down enough, to tell me what was wrong.
He had left the car in the driveway, and his wife, thought it was finished, so she took it for a drive, in order to pick up some groseries. she had a minor problem when she hit the brakes.
the hood flew of, along with some other parts.
the hole of the frontclip, was testfittet, and the car outside, in order to chek the colormatch.
so nothing was bolted down, or permanently fastned. he was not happy, neither was the police, in the car in front of her!!
yup, they had a "double" tailgate. gives the frase "tailgating" a whole new meaning.

so I guess I`ll not be seeing him, for the 4`th

I know how that is. I found some very nice grill pieces for one of my other cars and bought them from some guy on the internet once. I put them in place to see how they look. They looked awesome. I left them sitting in place. Weeks later I decided to drive the car around the block. Bad move. A day later I was walking my dog and found a flattened grill piece on the road. I was like "HEY, that's the same kind of grill as my car." Then I was like, "Oh, that IS from my car." I was bummed about that for a long time. Never did find any more grill pieces as nice as those.

bad luck happens to us all.
my bad luck, was rebuilding an 2.8 liter, and forgetting the oil.
yes, i did that. now laugh it up! hehe

I learned a lot that day, but a cheklist, before starting, is a good start.

carmangary said:
I know how that is. I found some very nice grill pieces for one of my other cars and bought them from some guy on the internet once. I put them in place to see how they look. They looked awesome. I left them sitting in place. Weeks later I decided to drive the car around the block. Bad move. A day later I was walking my dog and found a flattened grill piece on the road. I was like "HEY, that's the same kind of grill as my car." Then I was like, "Oh, that IS from my car." I was bummed about that for a long time. Never did find any more grill pieces as nice as those.

lol that reminds me of an old buddy that had a '71 Malibu. He rear ended someone and smashed his front bumper and grill. He was lucky enough to find a bumper right away, but not so lucky with the grill.
I think it was a year until he finally found one. But at that time his car was garaged for the winter. So he set the grill in place to see how it looked, and since the car was parked anyways he just left it there.
A couple weeks later after a nice snow fall him and another buddy were working on something in his garage. And he figured he would take his Malibu out to do some doughnuts in front of his house (had lots of space for it). So he drives it around front, as my buddy walked through the yard to watch. After about 2 rotations his grill fell out. My buddy was yelling at him to stop, but he (wasn't really the sharpest pencil in the box) just ignored him had kept going for a couple more minutes, running over his grill several times. After he finally stopped my buddy told him what happened. He picked up all the pieces he could find (and this thing was in like hundreds of pieces), and told our buddy to go home because he was in a bad mood.
No one seen or heard from him for 2 weeks after that.
And the story doesn't end there. About a year later I was helping him renovate his bedroom (was still living at home, we were in high school at the time). So as I'm helping him move all his stuff out of his room, I come across his Malibu grill. I had to laugh out loud a bit when I seen it. I guess he had spent most of that two weeks after running it over trying to glue it back together with a hot glue gun. It looked absolutely terrible lol. he had gotten a lot of it back together, but there was still 1/4 of it missing, and gobs of excess glue all over the place.
I swear, I could write a book on all the stupid stuff this guy did over the years.

Phoenyx said:
carmangary said:

lol that reminds me of an old buddy that had a '71 Malibu. He rear ended someone and smashed his front bumper and grill. He was lucky enough to find a bumper right away, but not so lucky with the grill.
I think it was a year until he finally found one. But at that time his car was garaged for the winter. So he set the grill in place to see how it looked, and since the car was parked anyways he just left it there.
A couple weeks later after a nice snow fall him and another buddy were working on something in his garage. And he figured he would take his Malibu out to do some doughnuts in front of his house (had lots of space for it). So he drives it around front, as my buddy walked through the yard to watch. After about 2 rotations his grill fell out. My buddy was yelling at him to stop, but he (wasn't really the sharpest pencil in the box) just ignored him had kept going for a couple more minutes, running over his grill several times. After he finally stopped my buddy told him what happened. He picked up all the pieces he could find (and this thing was in like hundreds of pieces), and told our buddy to go home because he was in a bad mood.
No one seen or heard from him for 2 weeks after that.
And the story doesn't end there. About a year later I was helping him renovate his bedroom (was still living at home, we were in high school at the time). So as I'm helping him move all his stuff out of his room, I come across his Malibu grill. I had to laugh out loud a bit when I seen it. I guess he had spent most of that two weeks after running it over trying to glue it back together with a hot glue gun. It looked absolutely terrible lol. he had gotten a lot of it back together, but there was still 1/4 of it missing, and gobs of excess glue all over the place.
I swear, I could write a book on all the stupid stuff this guy did over the years.

:rofl: thats hilarious, why would you even waste your time trying to put it back together. :blam:

85Supreme said:
:rofl: thats hilarious, why would you even waste your time trying to put it back together. :blam:

That's what I thought, But then if you knew this guy you would understand better. The same Malibu, he did a frame off (and no not a very good one) to it a year later. This car had a bent frame, more bondo than I have seen on a car before (up to 4" thick in some places), an aftermarket VAN sunroof (was so big the installed had to cut 1 or 2 of the roof supports off to make it fit), and lots of rust.

So he get's himself a parts car. A '71 SS that had no drive train, interior, or hood/front bumper/grill, but other than that it was mint. No rust, good quarters, straight frame. We all told him just to swap everything over to the parts car. It was in WAY better shape, and it was an SS car too. But no, he took the fender off and sold it after that.

And his car looked so bad after he was done. He had to replace the quarters, so he bought the cheapest (new) set he could find. And the bad thing about them is the way they were made. they ended about an inch below the body line. So by the time he was done, he had the first '71 Chevelle without bodylines on the quarters that I had ever seen. I feel sorry for the guy that bought that heap. We seen it a few months later bombing through a farmers field. Was kinda funny because we always joked with him and called it a field car. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor